Thread: Spray can shellac

Spray can shellac

Tried Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac in the spray can today on a bowl that i had turned. Seems to have dried with an orange peel texture. I applied several light even coats at the recommended 10-12" range. Im usually good with spray cans (paint) and dont think its my technique or too heavy of a coat. Maybe it is. Any thoughts or input on this product? Thanks

Try even lighter coats. Also between sprayings clean the nozzle to avoid spotting. That happened to me with the zinsser cans.

I use Zinsser all the time on oily woods before I finish with WOP and even when I spray it on a little thick I have never got an orange peel finish.....

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a method or environmental problem. I've use the spray canned stuff without issue. Then again, I use a lot of shellac and I'm comfortable with it. The most frequent problem with shellac I run into when talking to others is that they apply it too thick. Even though they think they're using a thin coat it's too thick for shellac.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the feedback. I sanded back last night, tonight ill give it another try.

I've used rattle can Zinsser shellac many times for small projects.

I will say, however, that the quality of the rattle can spray mechanisms (in general) hasn't been as good lately and it's sometimes frustrating.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm with Mr. Becker on the spray nozzles. They are not as good as the Rust-oleum nozzles. Seem to "squirt" the shellac.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I kinda noticed that also last night while spraying it seemed like the shellac was coming out in larger particles as opposed to a fine mist. I wonder if those nozzles are interchangeable. Heres a dumb question, perhaps causing my problem,...does this product have a rattle ball inside? If so, i cant get it to break free

Quote Originally Posted by jared parson View Post
    I kinda noticed that also last night while spraying it seemed like the shellac was coming out in larger particles as opposed to a fine mist. I wonder if those nozzles are interchangeable. Heres a dumb question, perhaps causing my problem,...does this product have a rattle ball inside? If so, i cant get it to break free
    none of the cans I have used seem to have a ball inside...

I get splattering from Zinsser as well as Rustoleum cans. The Mohawk products that I use work much better so it is possible to make a decent product.
    Gary

Maybe the nozzle has some dried shellac in it. Try removing it and soaking it in DNA or lacquer thinner for a few minutes before using it again.

I've never had orange peel problems with shellac.

John

The 'spray the can upside down for a sec' after you finish each session tends to work ok to keep the nozzle cleaner.

The shellac in spray cans is de-waxed so it does not need a ball in the can. There is no separation in the de-waxed product.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.