Thread: Dust Collectors CNC Oh my

Dust Collectors CNC Oh my

So I will hopefully in the next year own this dust collector:
    https://lagunatools.com/laguna-machi...-220v-cyclone/

But for now I am stuck using this:
    DR Power Leaf and lawn Vacuum 16.96 PRO-XL

I did some testing with the flex pipe that comes with the dr power... after putting on a high flow air filter for the carburetor and at the inlet I was able to achieve 2280 CFM through the 8" inlet.

With 5 feet of 8" tubing and 13 feet of 6" tubing with a less than optimal reducer I recorded around 6600 FPM and around 1260 CFM ..... I dont see this improving a whole lot with spiral pipe because these larger diameters of flex pipe are pretty smooth on the inside, meaning the ribs are all fully expanded.

4" adapter caused winds in excess of 100MPH which broke my anemometer so the CFM is somewhere above 767.94

I am building out a maker space for children and as such respirator cant be a requirement and ideal dust collection must be done so their lungs are not affected by micro particles escaping tool heads. In the shop we have a panel saw, miter saw, band saw, drill press with sanding drum attachment, and a CNC router with 2.2KW liquid cooled spindle.

If I understand the data right on bill pentz site, I must deliver over 1000CFM to most of the tools in the shop meaning I need a 6" hose directly to each tool or two 4" to each tool. With the exception of the CNC router needing 2400CFM..... this one obviously I am not going to be able to meet with the current system even if I run 8" all the way to the tool head. The Laguna on the otherhand will be able to deliver the 2400CFM with a 10" pipe to the tool head or possible a couple 5" pipes.

This seems crazy to me, I cant imagine a CNC moving around two 5" flex hoses or 1 10" flex host even with a heavy duty steel gauntry it just seems clunky.

Considering a CNC machine uses MDF as its spoiler board and MDF is one of the worst possible things little lungs could be breathing.... what are my options to ensure there is the proper amount of FPM and CFM being delivered to the spindle?

Also in regards to the panel saw, it is a SWAP saw http://a2equipment.com/ .... I have been brain storming ideas on best way to perform dust collection, my idea was some sort of hood that covered the opening between panels and maybe two 5" ports straight out the back one high and one low... any ideas?

Also what is the largest size down draft table I could create with this FPM and CFM ability that would still be effective at fine dust collection?

Depending on the size of your CNC, maybe consider making an enclosure for your CNC and hook the dust collection up to that enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Froh View Post
    Depending on the size of your CNC, maybe consider making an enclosure for your CNC and hook the dust collection up to that enclosure.

4ft x 4ft then on a 3ft tall steel table.

Saturn Series 4 x 4:
    https://www.finelineautomation.com/p...er?taxon_id=53

Fyi, two 5" hoses does not equal one 10" hose for flow. At 4500fpm 10" flows 2450cfm and a 5" flows 610cfm at the same velocity.