Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a Pine Bedside table project

Just a Pine Bedside table project

Well, short vacation from projects came to an end. Single Brain Cell Sketch Up has come up with a plan! Right now, there is a folding TV Tray beside MY side of the bed......needs to be gotten rid of. Maybe build a Shaker STYLE table?

Tastes would be for a hardwood, like Oak, Walnut, or Cherry......Budget say...Pine. Those that follow along with this project are free to use whatever lumber they want.

Went to the Blue Borg today, spent my "limit" of $20 and change in the pocket. A 1 x 4 x 8', a 1x 8 x 8', and a 2 x 4 x 8'.......tried to get the best of the racks.....took awhile. Military ID got me a 10% discount, too!

Took a bit of work to get 8' long items down the steps into the Dungeon Shop.....just making the three turns from the back door to the basement door took some doing. ( Just can't sit still, when there's lumber to be cut...)

Laid the 1 x8 on the bench, and a nearby bench.....not much room down here. Laid out for a few 27" long pieces. Had a gap between a couple of them, nasty area full of knots. A Skil 6-1/2" circular saw did the cuts....my crosscut handsaw is out for a sharpening. Laid the three planks onto the bench.....a bit too wide, as I needed just 17" in width......resawed one of the planks, mainly to get rid of a couple bad knots, anyway.....Placed that into the leg vise..
    narrow board jointed.JPG
    And ran the jointer along both edges. Ohio Tool Co. No. 0-7. Made a lot of nice curlies..
    curlies.JPG
    Since I was "running the jointer", might as well do the two wide bodies, too...
    jointer.JPG
    laid them all out again, on a couple pipe clamps...17" wide. Just about what I needed.

Hate pipe clamps, they roll over when you don't want them to, boards do not slide well on the pipes. One was having "issues" and needed a pair of visegrips to keep the end from just sliding away...block of wood and a mallet to flatten things down onto the clamps, long enough to get the middle clamp in place..
    clamped up.JPG
    Had to find enough room to put all of this together.....left side is in the air, held up by a block in front, and the mitre box station in the rear.

Will let this mess sit overnight.....sitting here peeling dried glue off of me. Legs for this table are to be tapered....best way to do that is with a plane, or two...anyone want to try their hand? I need to resaw the leg blanks down, first. Tapers are on the two inside faces of the legs. Aprons? I have that 1 x 4 for those....with enough left over for MAYBE a narrow drawer? Supposed to be fun....we'll see. Stay tuned to this..Batty Channel

Ok, this might take more than one reply, here goes..
    Got the blank for the top out of the clamps this afternoon.....decided to trim the ends square, for now. Crosscut saw is still out being sharpened, something else was needed
    saw guide.JPG
    Set up a straight edge. marked a pair of lines, one was the cut line, the other was set back to account for the distance between the saw blade, and the saw's foot. Ran the saw..
    sawn end.JPG
    Hey, that saw IS a vintage one. Set up and repeat for the other end.
    Next, a long plane was run around, to level the top a bit..
    #6c.JPG
    A Type 10 Stanley #6c. Worked on the top's faces, trying to decide which will show. Got out a smooth plane for a bit of detail work..
    No.9.JPG
    Millers Falls No. 9.....had a slight ridge in that spot....had. Set this top aside, will need to plane it again..later.
    Set up the mitre box
    mitre box.JPG
    I had a 2 x 4 to cut into leg blanks....
    mitre box results.JPG
    The saw itself was one I just had sharpened up. Nice smooth cuts..

Will stop here, and carry on in the next reply....

As there is a lot more that got done today....

Set up the resaw jig on the bandsaw ( I am not hand ripping all of these) Ran three blanks through..
    leg blanks 1.JPG
    Blanks are 25" long, and about 1-1/2" square..now. I ripped three blanks down into legs,,, because I wanted an extra just in case an "AH....S..." should happen. I picked the four best ones..
    4 legs.JPG
    Motley looking bunch? I set them up with the knotty ends as the tops of the legs, leaving clear lumber from there down A square made a line across all four at the same time, with the ends flush.
    Next, I set up to taper one side of a leg. Down at the foot end, I made for a 3/4" wide toe. Drew a straight line from there up to the "Knotty Line"
    DSCF0015.JPG
    Everything to the right of that line will be leaving..
    rough planed.JPG
    A #5 cambered jack plane did the rough work, working from the toe back towards the top line. ( line is on the bench side, needed to make sure I had enough clearance)
    Once I got as close to the line all the way along it, I switched to a longer plane....
    finish planed.JPG
    Full length strokes, until the line was gone, and a full shaving appeared. Rotate the blank, remark a new line, repeat the above steps. That little block on the side of the bench is to support the far end of the blank..
    tapered leg.JPG
    Hopefully, I get a leg like this each time. Doesn't take all that long, either. I also have to keep track of which sides get tapered, as they also will get a mortise for the aprons.
    Monday in the Shop? Just can't resist...futile, isn't?
    Stay tuned, I might get a table made yet. Just a change of pace from making boxes...

Well, maybe after Lunch has had a chance to settle in.....I might get to the shop. There will be at least one drawer. Trying to decide IF it will be on the end, or the side. Aprons may get widened to more than the 3-1/2" ones I have now. Maybe involving a glue up? Will have to measure how long the top's square section is.

There is NO written plan involved here, nothing on paper even......yet. Not sure about adding a breadboard edge......maybe, maybe not? Won't be a very wide one, IF I do them.....~1" wide?

This might take longer than a week to build, hope I don't bore anybody....

Not bored at all Steven, I enjoy all of your builds and look forward to more.

Well, the Boss decided she wanted to go to Menards today, to price a few items she wants.....honey-do things...while there, I picked out a couple 1 x 6 x 6'....same price as a 12'er just easier to carry in the van...

lumber supplies.JPG

There is a pair of 1 x 6 x 6' standing up back there.
    More plane work, as I had the other three legs to taper....made a BIG mess of shavings..
    messy floor.JPG
    Igor being on "Vacay" I guess I'll sweep this up. The fourth leg's tapers needed to be checked against the other three leg's tapers.....hate when I taper the wrong faces of a leg....finally got all four legs done, taper wise...
    4 legs, end view.JPG4 legs, side view.JPG
    Set them on the bench, with that scrap holding things up. All tapers are to the inside.
    Used the #358 Mitre Box to cut some aprons..
    aprons.JPG
    The shorter one will be the end, and there are two long aprons, a second "short apron" will be a drawer front.
    Debating on adding a narrow (1"?) bread board edge to the top. Top is 3/4" x 17" x 26-1/4" .

Maybe tomorrow, I can start the mortise and tenon stuff....stay tuned..

Tried to work on the tenons today, as I usually do those first. easier to chop out a matching mortise that way.

5-1/2" wide apron is a bit too wide for a tenon
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Came in about 3/4" from each edge..
    DSCF0002.JPG
    And thought about using the Wards 78 to cut the tenons..
    DSCF0005.JPG
    For some reason, it would NOT hold settings, depth stop and fence wanted to move. Wound up setting the Stanley #358 Mitre Box up, with depth stops..after a complete fail by the handsaw/ shoulder plane route....
    DSCF0013.JPG
    Hungry plane, kept cutting too deep. Had to recut a new Long Side Apron,, as the tenon went way too thin. Not a total loss, I can recycle that into the drawer front..
    Wanted a little extra to the bottom edges of the aprons
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Since the bead cutter was still in the Stanley 45,,,I had to reset the fence. Used the set of holes so the fence was below the cutter, and set it as close to the cutter as I could.
    DSCF0011.JPG
    Had to keep dragging all of these shavings out....got a nice bead right at the bottom edge
    DSCF0009.JPG
    This is on the recut apron. Before the tenon was done. If I get a tear out, the cut off tenon will remove it.
    DSCF0016.JPG
    Set out one apron and one leg. The apron to lay out for a matching mortise.
    Next chapter, coming up....stay tuned

Ok, Mortises for that apron. Nice part about these tapered legs, the side opposite from a mortise is straight, makes things easier to clamp down to the bench

DSCF0014.JPG
    Got out a few of the usual suspects, and laid out where to chop..
    DSCF0015.JPG
    Tarced from the tenon that will go here. Since this is the "1st" mortise I am doing, marked it as #1, and made a mark on the "inside" of the apron, to show which end goes here.
    DSCF0017.JPG
    Mortise chisel ( New Haven Edge Tool Co. 1/4") a wide paring chisel, and that home made "gooseneck" 1/4" chisel to clean out the bottom. Dry fit, to see how much deeper to chop.

Finally got that to match up. Got out the next leg, and repeat the Mortise work. When #2 was done, decided to just go ahead and glue it up..
    DSCF0018.JPG
    3 pipe clamps.....will let this set a while, then I can set it aside, and work on the other assembly.

Later, I can figure out which end will get a drawer, and which will get the apron. No rush....stay tuned

Steven these threads are helpful to those will minimal experience. Thank you for sharing.

Hi Steven,

+1 to what Scott and Daryl have written.

Thanks,

Stew

And thank you, Gentlemen

Ok, snuck back down to the shop a bit ago.....removed the clamps. The thought WAS to do only that, and go back upstairs.....didn't work out that way

By the time I had headed back up the steps:

I had laid out and chopped Mortise #3 and fitted the apron to it.

Before that, I had run the Stanley 45 bead cutter a bit more, once I figured a way to do these things..
    DSCF0004.JPG
    Took a couple tries....outside corners of each leg will get this detail
    DSCF0005.JPG
    goes well with the bead along the apron.
    I also got mortise #4 laid out, but that was it for the night
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Also, a better look at the "Usual Suspects"
    DSCF0002.JPG
    The 1" wide chisel is back there, somewhere.
    When I was talking about setting the depth stops on the 358 Mitre Box?
    DSCF0007.JPG
    That little brass "collar" sets how far down the guides can go...a look at the mitre box?
    DSCF0008.JPG
    The saw had just got back from the sharpening service....not a bad "little" saw...

Stay tuned...

Have errands to run this morning.....might find a wee bit of time later today, to play in the shop some more. Need to work out how the drawer will fit, and build the runners for it. Will try to split/saw/whatever a top edge and a bottom edge from the drawer's front. maybe a hidden compartment at the back of the drawer?

No plans, all in a Single Brain Cell Sketch Up I use......maybe I might jot a set of figures down, on a scrap of paper....just having fun, playing in my shop..

Blog Entries
    Very cool. I love the bead. I just got the Veritas small plow and am anxious for my next project that can use a bead. I've been thinking the Roubo bench build may see some beads on the legs. (yes, it's still happening- been stagnant between my many travels and being father to a just-turned-4-year-old.)

Since I built a boat with fir, I have really fallen in love with pine. I used to hate the stuff, mainly because my experience with pine before that was home depot construction grade stuff, and I foolishly thought that was what all pine looked like!

I might mention,possibly for future work,for those who care,in the 18th. C.,beads on furniture had sharp bottomed beads. The flat bottomed ones came in the 19th. C..

It is possible that flat bottom beads were used on architecture in the 18th. C., such as on the bottom edge of siding. We don't really know about that application,as far as I know.

We used to just grind the flat off of 19th. C. plane blades,leaving a sharp edge in the bead if we wanted to make authentic beads on things we made,such as music stands,etc..
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-30-2017 at 1:57 PM.

Ok, let's stop right here for a moment.......

This little Project is to sit right beside MY side of the bed. Never meant to be a Museum Piece, or High Style Art works. It is just a table, folks. I am building this on a tight, SMALL budget.....and NOT trying to duplicate 18th century table designs. It MIGHT be in the Shaker STYLE, with touches I added. Not a direct copy. Weren't the Shakers in the 19th Century?

It will get a coat or two of the Infamous Witch's Brew, as that will get close to a "Pumpkin Pine" flavour that matches most of the rest of the house's tables.

There will be a drawer on one end, nothing fancy, just a box that slides in and out. Not sure what knob it will have, yet.

Now, IF anyone wants to build along and try a table like this, fine. They can even use what ever wood they chose.

Just a simple, little bedside table.....might get it done by Easter, maybe....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-30-2017 at 7:01 PM.