Thread: Fixing a problem help?

Fixing a problem help?

Guys, I have a medicine cabinet that has a beveled glass mirror imbedded into the frame with no way to remove it. I want to inlay/fix this somehow so it won’t be seen the crack is about 5/8” in the corner. I’m showing a corner piece I’m playing with but it will not work as the handle on the opposing side will be affected. And inlaying with the curves will be a tough job with the mirror in place. Any thoughts??
    mirror crack.jpgmirror inlay.jpg

If the glass can't be removed I would just live with it. Any attempt at repair comes with the significant risk of additional cracks to the glass. Can you post a picture of the back side of the door?

I would be concerned that the crack would continue to propagate with seasonal changes. Some people add thin CA glue to cracks in glass.

JKJ

I would live with it. The crack won't migrate as it has already run its course from edge to edge. Apply a pinstripe or similar border to the glass? Cheers

I agree. The crack has run its course. I would try to live with it.

Red
    RED

I would if it was mine this is for a friend and his wife won't like seeing it. Need to cover it somehow with a decorative accent she will be happy with.

Wayne's idea reminded me of something. I've seen people put a border of wallpaper on a mirror. Usually when it has no frame but not always. What about a 3/4" wide version? Maybe just near the corners? You'd have to play with it to get the best look.

Or, if she's very particular - break the mirror, remove the shards and cut a rabbet on the back. Then inlay a new mirror. That presumes you can match the wood/finish on the back side.

This is a tough one Pat. Good luck!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If you cannot live with it, then why not just make a new door? It looks like there's not much wood involved, and the edge treatment seems straightforward. If you buy a new pane, I wouldn't get it beveled. You'll save $ and you'll end up with a more viewable surface area.

All this seems less painless and is less of a hack than trying to cover the corner.

If this was a teenager the crack would already have a sticker over it for a boy band or just a random saying. If it has to be repaired I would use a router to open up the groove, holding the glass in, into a rabbit. You will have to make some quarteround molding to hold in the new glass.
    I have seen "stained glass" made by painting black lines onto flat glass and painting translucent paint in the between the lines.
    Bill