Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: compound angle dovetails

Last I looked, the designer 's first name on that tool tote was Steven, NOT Derek.....

So is an attitude of "My way or the highway" that keeps showing up on other's posts.....telling the OP they are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Last I looked, the designer 's first name on that tool tote was Steven, NOT Derek.....
    Well done Steven on the apt description.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-31-2017 at 3:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    ... only to be told I am wrong
    Oh Steve, I did not take it that way at all. I took the comment to be more of one related to aesthetics based on intended use.

Consider the cases that I made to hold my chisels. I made one as a dovetailed box and then I glued plywood to the top and bottom and called it done. I have another where I created a frame-in-panel top and bottom and then I applied a finish. One is probably more pleasing to my eye than the other, but they rarely leave my shop. And yes, for sure, what you built is a far from the standard nail version.... but how did you attach the bottom? Did I miss that?

Your well done example is instructive whether the OP goes that route or not. I have handled your tote and in the back of my mind I keep thinking that I should make one because of it, but time, who has the time.

I would never have considered making the cuts parallel to the base if it had not been mentioned, and for sure, I would not have considered the aesthetics.

Andrew and all: That's what Derek and I have been trying to make some of you see-The aesthetics of the design. No, your box will not fall apart with the dovetails you made,Steven. It will just look more pleasing design wise if the dovetails are made parallel to the longest length of the box. Perhaps something to remember next time ?

Sorry,Pat Making the dovetails parallel to the long axis of the box IS the correct way to do it. You don't want your un angled dovetails making the ends of the box look "droopy". Look at the 2 ways presented CAREFULLY. Which dovetails make the corners seem to "droop". Which dovetails are a graceful termination of the angled ends of the box ?
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-31-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Andrew and all: That's what Derek and I have been trying to make some of you see-The aesthetics of the design. No, your box will not fall apart with the dovetails you made,Steven. It will just look more pleasing design wise if the dovetails are made parallel to the longest length of the box. Perhaps something to remember next time ?

Sorry,Pat Making the dovetails parallel to the long axis of the box IS the correct way to do it. You don't want your un angled dovetails making the ends of the box look "droopy". Look at the 2 ways presented CAREFULLY. Which dovetails make the corners seem to "droop". Which dovetails are a graceful termination of the angled ends of the box ?
    You said it yourself "It will just look more pleasing design wise if the dovetails are made parallel". Purely a question of aesthetics.

That is correct,Pat. I WAS referring to the aesthetics. To me,and Derek,I'm sure,aesthetics are a very important and integral part of making things. Many things are made heavily into aesthetics,even today. Look at the beautiful body shapes on many modern cars just for one thing. A few,like the CUBE,are really ugly,but most car makers put a lot of effort into the sculpting of their body shapes.

If I can't build beauty into things that I make, what is the point of making them in the first place? Of course,it does take a little higher thought to appreciate beauty.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-31-2017 at 11:33 AM.

The bottom to that tool Tote was just a slab of white oak. I beveled the edges to match the inside of the tote. Pressed down into place, and then nailed off, no glue.
    bandsaw tilted.jpg
    Roughed out the angle, then planed the bevel to match...
    flushed bottom.jpg
    Once it got to the bottom, I nailed it in place, no glue. Then planed the sides flush for a flat bottom. Large knot? I can use that to clean out any dirt or debris inside the tote...
    dados.jpg
    Handle was fitted into these, then nailed off, no glue. Makes it easier to replace the handle, should it ever break.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-01-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Anything else you want to know about the Tool Tote?

OK, now I am confused....

Steve,

You have a post where you include pictures of the tote bottom (three pictures). When I first saw the post, i did NOT see the included pictures. Today I do. Of course I am confused....

Derek,

Awesome chest of drawers. I have always been intimidated by the curved fronts, even more so if I was to make angled dovetails...

Andrew: I came back and edited in the pictures. You are more than welcome to come over here and look the tote over anytime. I might have to empty it out, first. Sitting here a bit packed with tools, right now..

I had to make all sorts of compound joints when I timber framed... It required lots of "mathifying". For a furniture scale piece, I just make full scale drawings. You'll end up with a map for all your measuring points. Hell, I usually don't even know what the angles are. Made this small chest some years back. Time consuming, like any hand-cut piece. But after the boards were marked, no more of a brain tease than box joints.
    crab box.jpg

Awesome Mateo,That box is funky I love it!
    Aj

I have no idea whatsoever what that thing is Mateo, but whatever it is, I like it. A lot. And I'm wondering if you have a kind of Stephen King-type mind.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo Panzica View Post
    I had to make all sorts of compound joints when I timber framed... It required lots of "mathifying". For a furniture scale piece, I just make full scale drawings. You'll end up with a map for all your measuring points. Hell, I usually don't even know what the angles are. Made this small chest some years back. Time consuming, like any hand-cut piece. But after the boards were marked, no more of a brain tease than box joints.
    crab box.jpg
    Hi Mateo

That is a very interesting box. A lot of work went into that piece!

How much of the curved sides were shaped before or after they were dovetailed together?

In designing the dovetails, did you aim to position them differently from, say, a simple square box? And if so, can you say where the challenges lay?

It is difficult to tell from the angle of the photo, but it looks as if the dovetails are aligned with the curve (which changes). Any other photos? I would love to see a front-on one.

Regards from Perth

Derek