Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: compound angle dovetails

I make my dovetail angles like the illustration just above. They are parallel with the base of the chest. This just looks better than dovetails that are at 90 º to the angled side.

Very pretty little knife box,Derek.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-29-2017 at 10:19 AM.

That is absolutely incredible Derek!

I think in depends on the project. Those humble table utensil caddys that in their old age take up toting broken hammers, putty knives ,and chisels used as putty knives were often held together with cut nails. On them any kind of dovetail makes them a stand out.

David and Hasin, thanks for the kind words. The excitement over that piece was last year. You should have been here for the build. Now it is just old hat.

Regards from Perth

Derek

"Old hats"!?...you said it was gonna be lingerie.

Well Mel, hats are cheaper!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Try to help someone with a simple way of doing something, only to be told I am wrong by the "Rocket Scientists of Joinery"?

Thought MAYBE the OP could do the simplier versions first, before attempting Derek's Master Class ones....

Oh well, I will get using that Tool Tote, since it has not shown the slightest hint of "Just falling apart at the seams" sort of .....stuff.

At least mine was an "upgrade" from just nailing it together.

Don't have the time, equipment, or cash to put out fancy "Look at ME" videos....have other things to do..

Hi Steven

I think that you are taking what I wrote out of context. The OP asked about compound mitred dovetails. These are extremely difficult to do, and you gave them a good go. You did a great job in sawing and fitting them. However, the angle of the dovetail is incorrect for orientation.

There are a couple of articles in FWW magazine to look up if you are an on-line member. The video I posted shows a way that the dovetails need to be angled on a incline to look the same as if they were positioned in a squared edge.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very useful, informative thread...Good job by all...Thanks
    Jerry

Steven,no one is trying to belittle you. But everyone has things to learn,me included. I have learned several things since joining this site. I never was a furniture maker,and I pick up things in that area especially. You would make better progress in woodworking if you would listen instead of just getting put off when more experienced craftsmen show something that is worthwhile learning.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-30-2017 at 8:50 AM.

Haven't seen any worth "learning from" here. Been woodworking almost as long as you have. Another one seems to be nothing more than a Lee Valley Schill.....

Used to churn out chest of drawers every dang week, and chest on chests.....got to be too much of a job....when I had a "Day Job" to begin with.....

Then all them Hope Chests, Bunk Beds, Porch Benches.....sold everything via word-of -mouth......And this was before the internet.

Local Joint Vocational School.....was an assistant Instructor in Carpentry....

"I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf, I know how to defend my Keep" goes the saying....
    Had one Uncle that was the "Trouble-shooter" for Monarch Lathes, another built houses......I merely did foundations and finish carpentry for factories, schools, medical buildings, and other assorted buildings. Maybe try to square a retaining wall that is for a dock at a wharehouse, to the dock walls? 50' retaining wall needs to be square to a 100' long wall of truck docks. Simple things like that.....

Now, IF someone new to this craft, were to see a post on how I do projects, learns enough to try to build something out of wood, and gets inspired to learn more about this craft...THAT is what needs done. I am just a Hobbyist nowadays, and the table I am building right now is to sit beside MY side of the bed. Ever thought I MIGHT have something others could learn from? Doubt it.....

Yes,Steven, I knew you would reject mine, and Derek's info.. But, as I mentioned in the other thread where you rejected the knowledge we offered, others may benefit from the information if they want to make their angled dovetails which flow better with the shape of the box. There are many here who want to learn things. If ONE person picks up on the information that it takes time to write, it is worth it to me. Whether anyone benefits or not, the information I gave about the bead is not easily found in any book I am aware of, and is a valuable tip to know.

I do not think that it is nice, or fair, to call Derek a shill for anyone, LV or otherwise. Just because he tests a few tools for LV. They need someone outside their company to test their tools. He also makes his own planes and some others as well. He is WELL WORTH listening to. If LV selected him to test their tools, it is because he is a craftsman who they respect, a craftsman they can trust to use their tools correctly. That includes sharpening them properly. And, they can trust him to make an intelligently written and comprehensive review of the tool he is testing. His tool reviews are valuable information that any member here would benefit from, before putting large bucks on a special plane, or other tool he is considering.

Derek's tool testing has nothing to do with how to lay out dovetails properly, does it ? If it does, please explain it to me.

In this bit of writing I am using something I learned from another member here: I never took typing, and was unaware that it is correct to leave a space after a comma. I try to do that now. See ? I don't just reject information myself. I KNOW I don't know everything. Especially about using computers. When I was growing up, if I found a man who was doing good work, I hung around him to learn. All through college I stayed with a TRUE MASTER artist as often as I could. I skipped classes sometimes to be in his shop. I was there after school and early in the morning. I took a lot of guff from him, but I knew he had the knowledge I wanted. I swallowed my ego many times and kept on learning from him. That's how I got somewhere as an artist and craftsman.

The method of angling the dovetails like Derek helpfully showed pictures of is the correct way of doing it. I use the same method. It makes the design much more graceful. We, and some others, like David Weaver ( now gone from here), are trying to help others do better work.

Please understand that this post is not meant to sound angry or a put down. It is meant to show the value of CORRECT tips that some qualified members may offer.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-30-2017 at 8:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The method of angling the dovetails like Derek helpfully showed pictures of is the correct way of doing it. I use the same method. It makes the design much more graceful.
    I don't think its correct to say that "this is the correct way of doing it". Its really a matter of visual aesthetics which you feel looks better. That doesn't make it correct though. What steven did was just as correct as the method Derek showed. Both get the job done. Its not necessary to preach about things - that isn't correct.

I'll let you two argue this out, I have work to do....have fun...

What a rude, defensive and egocentric remark.

Regards from Perth

Derek