Thread: Opinions on DMT DiaSharp Magnabase System

Opinions on DMT DiaSharp Magnabase System

I currently own a Tormek System that has never really worked for me. It is always a pain to set it up and you have to deal with water everywhere, making sure it is put away "dry" so it doesn't rust and so forth. So I was looking for a simpler sharpening system when I ran across a video on YouTube by the Renaissance Woodworker using the DMT Magnabase with the Diasharp fine/extra fine diamond plate. It seems like a very efficient system once you have a bevel ground on the chisel or plane blade you can quickly work the back and bevel on these large diamond plates. After honing the edge, he uses a leather strop to polish. I am looking for opinions from anyone that has one and has used it.

Thank you,

Eric

2. I'm a sharpening newb, but I found the DMT stones to be the easiest. I've had no real luck with wet stones. Tommy Mac showed me how to use the DMT stones and it is quick and easy. Things come out really sharp (I did all of our kitchen knives and my tools). In my opinion, which is only .002, they are awesome.

I do not have the Magnabase. However, I have several DMT's ranging from 120 to 1200 grit, so I thought I'd try to help here, a little........

To my eyes, the magnabase just looks like a new base that raises your stone 2" off the bench. (Am I missing something?) To me, that's no big innovation, but if you dont want to make your own base there's nothing wrong with buying theirs.

What I like about DMT stones is that you can sharpen nearly any steel with diamonds. Be aware that they do advise using a spritz of soapy water - so there is a tiny bit of mess, but nothing like a water cooled sharpener generates. Also, the DMT's can and do get a light tarnish of rust. Again, no biggie - just dry them off after using.

You might search the archives for other options than just DMTs. Lots and lots of threads covering the pros/cons of Shaptons, Sigmas and water stones (might be messier than you want but thought Id mention it). I use my Shaptons more than my DMTs now.

Good luck!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-27-2017 at 8:05 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I switched to the Magnabase recently from the regular holders. You're correct about the benefits - with one holder you can switch between grits very quickly. The magnet is strong enough to hold the stone rigidly and works with double and single sided stones. I have two combo DMTs and one 8000 mesh single sided. Before I would need to flip the combo over in the regular holder which was a pain even with a couple of holders. Regarding DMT vs Shapton - I prefer the Shapton for the final polish as the 8000 DMT does take time to "bed in". Otherwise I rate the DMTs above the Shaptons - cut quickly, don't need levelling being two key benefits

Blog Entries
    Another who cannot comment directly on the base but, while the Trend and EZ-Lap products I've tried have worn out and been tossed, one of my DMT Dia-Sharp plates must be 10 years old and still in service
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the great information. Yes Fred, I tend to agree with you the magnabase might be a lot of bells and whistles for the money. Also I read at Tools for Working Wood, one of the bloggers stated the 12" diamond plate was overkill and the 8" plates were just fine. I know the 3"x8" plates are available for about $60-70 so I might start off with one of these .

I might be wrong, but it appears the only way to get the larger combo stones is in a kit with the Magnabase. I've been using Norton water stones but will switch to DMTs as they wear out. I find water stones to be a pita - messy, constantly flattening, very time-consuming, etc. - in short, a deterrent to sharpening. I have a DMT lapping plate - pricey but an excellent product and the large size is a pleasure to use. While I'm sure some will disagree, I think DMT diamond stones are at least the equal of water stones, especially if you do a final honing on a leather strop.