Thread: Finish for a live edge oak screen door?

Finish for a live edge oak screen door?

I am building a live edge screen door and wondering the best way to finish it. Although it is an exterior door there is a very large overhang which prevents ALL direct sunlight most direct moisture - rain or snow. I do not want to stain it but rather just use a finish coat. The live edge still has about 50% of its bark and it seems to be well adhered yer.

I am assuming the best bet would be a sealer such as shellac first followed by a top coat of perhaps poly or something similar. What do you think would be the best route to go?

Here is a picture of a SIMILAR door...not mine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajqodrc5q52plhy/IMG_0283.jpg?dl=0

Don

p.s. - I got the wood direct from a sawmill had it has been only sticker dried - not kiln. Moisture content is ranging from 13 - 17%.

I really like that very rustic looking design for a door like that.

You should still use an exterior product that has UV protection, but know that over time, it will still tend to "grey out" as all wood will do when exposed like that. (overhang or not) There's no reason to use shellac to "seal" the wood prior to an oil based exterior varnish product. Do note that the bark will still be at risk over time as it will tend to dry differently than the wood. Bark retention isn't easy even in the most controlled circumstances.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A good marine varnish. If you apply is at 50% the first coat, that's your seal. The next coat is 25%, then 10%, then full strength for a couple or four.