Thread: Cost of blade sharpening in your neck of the woods?

Cost of blade sharpening in your neck of the woods?

Out of curiosity, what are you paying to sharpen a typical 40 tooth 10 inch carbide tipped blade? And where are you? Here in Southern Maine I just paid $19.50. Most all of the local places that offer the service just act as collection points for someone in NH who does the actual work.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

$8.50 for 40 teeth at Dynamic Saw, in Buffalo, NY, using a fully automatic, Vollmer (German) grinding machine. See for yourself, and be sure to check out their homepage and watch the video on the Vollmer.

http://dynamicsaw.com/sawblades.html

John

Despite having two good sharpening services in my county, I use Dynamic Saw. Both sharpening places are on the other side of the county (35 miles each way, and thru town) so it takes at least 2.5 hrs to make the round trip, times two. For the gas alone, I can pay freight to Dynamic, not mention lost time and cost of vehicle. Postman drops off flat rate box, picks them up, and two weeks later UPS guy brings them back. Nothing could be easier. Two years ago, was in Buffalo, and went by Dynamic's place just to see where it was. Very non descript building right off the interstate. Wife was with me, so didn't take time to go in.

Bruce, you should have gone in. Next time you are that way make sure to visit them. Dan and Steve are a great father/son team, as is everyone who works there, and the equipment inside that nondescript building is anything but. I've been there several times and they are always willing to give me a tour and tell me about whatever new it is they are working on.

John

Thanks John.

I just bookmarked that. After a local sharpener ruined my WWII, I am leery of it happening again.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I am a big fan of Dynamic Saw. When my local sharpener retired I sought advice here on SMC and sent my Freud blades and a 12" planer knife set to Dynamic. Two week turn around, great job of sharpening and they could not have been nicer. They will get all my sharpening business until I quit or they do. These are good, honest people who do a great job, period.

Thanks, guess I'll have to give them a try.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mackell View Post
    Thanks, guess I'll have to give them a try.

Just a minor note about Dynamic Saw. Last year they bought a laser engraver and I'm pretty sure their default is to engrave your last name on your blades. If you don't want that to be done for some reason, be sure to tell them.

John