Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me With Snipe

Help Me With Snipe

I've always struggled with this end snipe, and I can't really figure it out. I have a new 15" Grizzly planer, just tuned it up, outfeed, infeed and chip breaker heights and I'm still getting it pretty bad.

these are 20' timbers, and we're keeping them pretty level especially as it's about to exit, but I'm getting these bad snipes 3" from end of board and a light stink deep! It's right as it exits the infeed roller, seems to pause, then get picked up by the outfeed. Might be getting slightly hung up under the chip breaker. I have the bed rollers almost flush with the table. These snipes are the same ~1/16 depth all across the 3" part.

lot's of work planing these timbers, I want to do a nice job! What could I re adjust tomorrow? I'm thinking the outfeed could come down a bit, or the infeed, up?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Wood; 03-27-2017 at 6:16 PM.

In this case I think it's just coming from failure to hold the material up in its path. Sometimes it's difficult to keep that feel with long heavy stuff.

Blog Entries
    Joe,
    Try lifting up on the front end of the board as the back end is leaving the rollers. The snipe you are describing is not rare. Planing 20 foot long timbers is uncommon on a lunch box planer. How do you keep the planer stable when the timber is past half way?

No, it's right as it leaves the infeed, it pauses and we have to pull and tug a bit. We are holding it up as it exits, matter of fact I have a roller stand set up to keep it level, so I don't have to be holding it up!

I have shims under the back end of the planer to stabilize it a little anyway, but yes, it's not 100% stable with that timber.

I have this same problem with 2x8 x 10', so why doesn't the outfeed pick it up and keep putting it thru?
    Last edited by Joe Wood; 03-28-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Joe, I'm assuming that you are going to trim the timbers some to final length.
    Most will buy a little longer board to be able to cut off the snipe.
    If that's not possible, or you are pretty close on the length, try gluing a 3-4" piece at the end of the board that will take the snipe.
    Then you can cut it off at the glue line when you are finished planing.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Sounds like the outfeed roller pressure isn't high enough. Tighten down the hex head set screws (or whatever they're called) on top on the outfeed side.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 03-27-2017 at 7:43 PM.

Nope, I need two 10's out of each timber,

Hhmmm, glue on a 4" piece, and increase outfeed pressure, two great suggestions!

Sounds like your Roller stand isn't high enough. I hold up the In feed end with some amount of pressure unti it's about halfway through then go to the outfeed end and hold it up. You should be able to hold a fair amount of upward pressure without adversely affecting the cut. Also give the table a good waxing if it's stalling.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I think you can get some of the snipe out if you spend some time adjusting the outfeed roller.I have a Pm that still snipes a little after some adjustments but There is a lot of flexing in the columns so I know it's never going to be perfect.
    If your not facing your beams flat for your first pass that's going to be hard to workout.
    Aj

Try this:
    First, just use shorts, like 2' 4/4 material that you may have laying around. Get the snipe out by adjusting the outfeed roller. Also, lower the bed rollers below the table and line the bed up real good with wax or slip it or whatever you use.

I have a 4 poster 15" and have zero snipe.

Then use longer material and make sure it's properly supported.

Blog Entries
    Knowing how snipe occurs:

Planer Snipe.jpg

It is a feed path problem. There is a fix for planing short stock by affixing longer rails to the material and cutting them off when you are done:

plane small stock.JPG
    Maybe you could do something similar but, opposite:

Snipe cure long stock.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Oh some great thoughts fellas :-)

I angle my outfeed table. On a 20' timber I'd have the far end at least an 1" higher than the outfeed of the planer. Good luck!

Glenn's ideas look good too - depends on how you value your time.
    -Lud

My favorite is to run a short scrap piece through in front and in back. It seems to eliminate the problem for me.

I went thru trials on my DeWalt 735 and 15" Planer to try to eliminate snipe. I found that I could greatly reduce it but never completely eliminate it. While I could not see it at times, I could measure it with a digital caliper. The best I could get is a few thousandths of an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Sounds like your Roller stand isn't high enough. I hold up the In feed end with some amount of pressure unti it's about halfway through then go to the outfeed end and hold it up. You should be able to hold a fair amount of upward pressure without adversely affecting the cut. Also give the table a good waxing if it's stalling.
    I agree with Steve. That is how I do it.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214