Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Me With Snipe

Joe a friend of mine came up with a great way to do what you are trying to accomplish.He used a portable planer. Put the timbers on two sawhorses with about five feet hanging over one end. You need a buddy to accomplish the next step.Then set planer depth ,start it up and lift it to the material . Carefully start the planer on the piece. The drive rollers will "drive " it down the length of your timber ,you simply lift and move sawhorses,then catch the planer at the end. It worked way easier than it sounds.. Good luck,Mike.

Oh that sounds like great fun Mike! Sort of like those belt sander races we used to have only we could use planers! :-)

Sounds like maybe you increased the roller pressure to the point where the board cannot fit between the roller and the bed. Back it off and see what happens.

I think this whole thread is ahead of itself. The first thing that should be done with any new machine is dial it it. Make sure the blades are aligned and parallel to each other and the bed. Test the machine with small boards first and see what you get, adjust as necessary.

Sending 20' boards through as the test makes everything more complicated.

After you get the snipe eliminated with smaller boards, then try larger boards.

One thing to try with the larger boards would be to remove the outfeed extension wing and make a long flat table so the boards are fully supported the whole way.

We tuned everything up, then started running the timbers. I'm try releasing some tension tomorrow and see what happens.