Thread: Patent Ni.49 Soear & Jackson made specially for Werner bros

Patent Ni.49 Soear & Jackson made specially for Werner bros

Hi Guys and Girls,

Can anyone help me with more history behind this saw I recently saved from a rusty bin?
    IMAG4040.jpg

Among all my Disston D8's, this is the first saw I picked up with the lamb tongue. It is a S&J Patent 49. The etch says "Made specially for Werner Bro's".

Is anyone familiar with such a saw?

I got the saw rusty with no set. At first the teeth seemed misshaped but then I the ordered nature of the "mishaps" got my curiosity.

See belowIMAG4041.jpg

The teeth are back raked heavily yet seem to have a mini misshaped tooth between each tooth. Is this a result of a poor sharpening method or is there more to this?

The saw has no set to speak of and without sharpening cuts a surprising thin, neat kerf in wild Olive

Best
    Sergey
    Last edited by Sergey Petrov; 03-27-2017 at 6:48 PM.

Not familiar with British Saws to any appreciable degree, but the tooth situation is very common. It's called big tooth little tooth and is a result of inept filing. The file cuts the tooth leaning away from you much better than the one leaning toward you. If you don't compensate for this effect, you end up with teeth looking like the one in your photo.

aka ...cow & calf...

Nice save Sergey,
    The 1919 Spear & Jackson catalogue only shows their top line backsaw with the lambs tongue handle, and not on their pat. 49 backsaw, so your Pat 49 saw likely is earlier. The saw nuts look to be regular dome head style, so likely date after 1900.
    Spear & Jackson often made saws for hardware merchants, and your saw may have been for the Werner Bros hardware store in of Battle Creek, Michigan (1890-1937), although generally American stores bought their saws from American manufacturers rather than from English manufacturers.
    Your saw teeth are the result of poor filing and you can re-file to correct this and get better performance.

Rob, thank you for the great info!!!

forget Werner Bros in Michigan,
    much more likely to be Werner Bros in East London, South Africa.
    This is much closer to your location, and it makes more sense for Spear & Jackson to be selling to a colonial South African customer.

1939 advert below, from http://artefacts.co.za/main/Building...id=2426&rank=1

Wow, how did you find that? I checked a few links on the web buy did not find much.