Thread: Question about old Wallace lathe

Question about old Wallace lathe

I picked up an old Wallace No.46 and looking to upgrade the dead center to a live center. I'm having trouble with the drive center slipping and hope a live center will allow me to get a tighter fit. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to buy a live center for my tailstock? Here's some pictures

The standard live center is inserted into a Morse taper pocket. Your quill isn't set up to accept the standard live center.

Five years ago I bought a small live center with MT1. The Morse taper part fits into a pocket in the bearing. So I can separate the two. In theory, you could take the end of your quill and file it or machine it down to fit into a similar live center. I might have bought the separable live center from Amazon or eBay, but honestly it is over 5 years ago and that is a guess. If you have a local wood turning store, go there and try to pull the live centers apart until you find one.

Alternatively, if you have a friend with a machine shop (or are clever at improvising yourself), you could have a custom live center made for your lathe.

Here is a link to an older thread addressing the same challenge: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...age2&p=1978764

Try googling "homemade live center" (no quotes). Here is a video of what one fellow did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCMQ9xdQXdI

Take the quill to a machinist and have then drill an MT taper
    also they can clean up your headstock taper.

had both done mine, for the same reason. Was t much.