Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crackerbarrel discontinues serving rice

Crackerbarrel discontinues serving rice

At the local Crackerbarrel restaurant today, I was informed that they no longer serve rice except on Sundays. This menu change is ordered by corporate headquarters.

I wonder why they picked rice to eliminate. I'd rather seen them get rid of the muffin that they call cornbread or their latest incarnation of fried catfish.

Wouldn't bother me if they discontinued EVERYTHING. Other than chef salad, I can't say I've had ANYTHING in Cracker Barrel to brag about. Cracker Barrel = tourist trap, IMHO!

Blog Entries
    I really like their pancakes. I am a super taster which means that I'm especially sensitive to bitter. I love pancakes but it's a high risk enterprise for me. Sometimes they are like chewing aspirin. It's all about the baking powder and CB uses the 'right' kind of baking powder. A bonus is that they serve maple syrup and use butter instead of that country crock stuff. They bring the syrup in these little airline bottles which I fully understand because the stuff is expensive. But I've never gotten an argument if I ask for two bottles when I order.

I'm not a big fan of the lunch and dinner entrees. Ditto on the salads.

There's not a CB near enough to me to be worth the drive. Besides, we have an Original Pancake House nearby. mmmmmm...

I go out of my way to have a CB breakfast. Their pancakes are the best I've found anyplace.

I have IHOP and a local pancake house nearby but their pancakes aren't even close to CB. The rest of their menu is better than fast food places but......
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I Googled this - as I do with all surprising factoids before I believe them - and the ONLY hit on this subject is this thread. I have no reason to doubt the OP's word so it must be true. So folks, you heard it here first.

As to why - we've cut 'way back on rice in our house because of the arsenic (Google that if you don't know what I'm talking about). I bet Crackerbarrel's reason is more directly related to their bottom line than to our health, however.

Wouldn't know, closest Crackerbarrel, according to their website, is almost 250 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I go out of my way to have a CB breakfast. Their pancakes are the best I've found anyplace.

I have IHOP and a local pancake house nearby but their pancakes aren't even close to CB. The rest of their menu is better than fast food places but......
    Good summation. The times I've gone to Cracker Barrel has been for breakfast.

I am not a big fan of their rice anyway. I dont know what it is - but their rice texture is not right.

I am a big time fan of their pancakes but could care less about their rice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Wouldn't know, closest Crackerbarrel, according to their website, is almost 250 miles away.
    The closest one to me is in Las Vegas (a five to six hour drive). Crackerbarrel doesn't seem like something I would choose. The best pancakes I have eaten are from my kitchen.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

A farm neighbor who eats at the local Cracker Barrel said they're still serving it in this area......but Kentucky takes a while to catch up to other places at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    The closest one to me is in Las Vegas (a five to six hour drive). Crackerbarrel doesn't seem like something I would choose. The best pancakes I have eaten are from my kitchen.
    Probably the same Crackerbarrel for both of us. If I ever wind up in Vegas again, I might stop in, but I haven't been there in 20 years and really have no interest in going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    A farm neighbor who eats at the local Cracker Barrel said they're still serving it in this area......but Kentucky takes a while to catch up to other places at times.
    The discontinued rice at the local Crackerbarrel is the "brown rice pilaf" , which was formerly available as a "side". (It was the the only way rice was available as a side.) The current online Crackerbarrel menu still lists chicken and rice soup and a Saturday special mean of chicken and rice.

Here in New Mexico, Crackerbarrel occupies a niche market. It's the only place I can get something resembling "Southern cooking".

The danger zone for cooked food is from 40 to 140 F. I have classmates who were involved with food inspections and they said the most difficult item for the restaurants to keep out of this range was cooked rice. I guess it is because it is so light and airy, almost like insulation. It would either be too cool or dried out from too much heat. That is my guess anyway but I have no direct knowledge of CB's decision. Things like beans or other foods that sit in water are easy to keep hot but rice gets gummy quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    The danger zone for cooked food is from 40 to 140 F. I have classmates who were involved with food inspections and they said the most difficult item for the restaurants to keep out of this range was cooked rice.
    It would be interesting to know what items on the menu are actually cooked in big batches. The vegetables in supermarkets that are designed to be microwaved "in the bag" are satisfactory and, to me, the sides at Crackerbarrel taste like similar fare. The big disappointment is the fried okra, which tastes like it was fried a long time before it got to the restaurant kitchen.

The topic of food temperature reminds me of my main complaint about Crackerbarrel breakfasts. The eggs are usually lukewarm by the time they arrive. I don't think that's the fault of cooks or wait staff. To serve a hot meal, the plates themselves need to be kept hot.