Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crackerbarrel discontinues serving rice

I ate at a Crackerbarrel once. Thought the "theme" was horrible and the food worse. That was enough.

When I was doing drugstore installs I ate at Cracker Barrel a lot as where we were doing the work they were about the only place to eat. We always tried to find a mom and pop diner but a lot of those were closed by the time we quit working. Food wasn't all that good but you take what you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    It would be interesting to know what items on the menu are actually cooked in big batches. The vegetables in supermarkets that are designed to be microwaved "in the bag" are satisfactory and, to me, the sides at Crackerbarrel taste like similar fare. The big disappointment is the fried okra, which tastes like it was fried a long time before it got to the restaurant kitchen.

The topic of food temperature reminds me of my main complaint about Crackerbarrel breakfasts. The eggs are usually lukewarm by the time they arrive. I don't think that's the fault of cooks or wait staff. To serve a hot meal, the plates themselves need to be kept hot.
    I think the okra is a generic breaded a frozen item. At least the stuff in the frozen case at the grocery tastes the same, and that's not good.
    RE: hot plates. A pet peeve of mine too. Eggs, hash browns and gravy in particular should never go on a cold/room temp plate.
    Local Mexican restaurants in my area have that down to a science. They have a dedicated staff that deliver the food to the tables, not order takers/drink folks, but guys that wear big, long oven mitts and bring really hot plates to the table.

I'll bet because, refried beans, chili con queso etc taste much better hot too!

I have been to some restaurants that bring the food out on very hot plates but the food is cold

I do enjoy their breakfasts, very large meal. I tried their rice once and that was enough to convince me to stick to breakfast. The rice was crispy, just awful.

Blog Entries
    We have a Cracker Barrel near us and go once in a while. I've never had anything other than the breakfast and I find it to be really good. I usually get a plate that has bacon and eggs and pancakes.

PHM

I won't miss the rice since I never ordered it. I think they have generally good food. I like the fact that it is consistent from one location to another. Are they perfect of course not. Food tastes are very subjective and individualized. Obviously many people like them because there have been many times that we had to wait for a table at least a few minutes.

I've never even seen a Cracker Barrel but I googled it and found out they just opened their first West Coast store up near Portland. I won't be visiting since the only time I go up there is for the airport. I also very seldom eat in chain restaurants because I'm intolerant of dairy products.

I do like fried okra (and eggplant too) I wish I could grow it here. Pancakes sound good too. The worst part of aging for me is it's narrowed my food choices quite a bit.