Thread: My <$500 3HP Cyclone Build

My <$500 3HP Cyclone Build

I wanted to sharewith everyone a dust cyclone I am building. I had a Jet 1100 that just was not going to cut it for my shop plans.With the filter bag and a straight 10' 4" PVC connected to the blower mycfm was below 600! I have a very small shop - 16x22, but wanted a permanentdust system that I won't have to think much about. Like many small shop usersthe portable dust solution just does not work. It is a pain to move from tool to tool and many times "it is justone cut" so it never gets hooked up. Many people create a cyclone with the HF or similar blower and a SuperDust Deputy (SDD) with surprisingly good separation performance with short runsor as a portable unit. However, the realissue is the 5" port on the SDD which most people immediately downsize to4" PVC and make the mediocre cfm performance worse. So what I see mostpeople doing is ditching the 1-2HP single stage dust collector and pony up$1-2K for a 1.5-3HP cyclone (I was considering the same thing). What I really wanted to do was somethingsimilar to Andy in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYQCAgP2Ts)He uses a used 3HP single stage blower on a SDD XL (with 6" inlet) and6" PVC with incredible airflow (1000cfm+) at most stations. Unfortunately I could not find a used singlestage 3HP dust collector - used. So Iset out to build one. I started lookingat various 3HP motors and you would have to spend too much money just on the motor.

Then I stumbled ontoa Grizzly 3HP motor on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grizzly-Elec...-/282409664284?.This is the motor used on the 3HP single stage dust collector. I talked with the seller and these are thelatest production motors. ($110 motorand delivery). You can order the impeller for this dust collector directly fromGrizzly $139 (I had a 10% discount coupon).

You will need ablower housing, but Bill Pentz has already designed that for you. The standard blower housing is for a 14"impeller. This one is 12 3/4". All you have to do is scale your printoutdown to that size and you have your template. [Note: I opted to buy a 131/2" Impeller from the G0703 cyclone. The motor and impeller above are for a 22mm shaft and this impeller is3/4" so I will have a machinist open it up to 22mm]

You can then attachthat to a SDD XL and you have pretty good performing Cyclone with theappropriate amount of CFM for a small shop (in a small foot print). However, I decided to build my own version ofthe SDD XL (the Super Dust Marshal - see picture below). I can get a 4x8 sheet of galvanized steel 24gauge locally for $28. This designchanges the inlet to angled and rectangular (both of which have been proventhrough several research papers to improve separation)

For filters, Ibought 2 Donaldson torit p190817 models on ebay ~$80 ea giving >500 sq-ft offiltration surface.

So for less than$500 I will have a 2 stage cyclone with ~1000cfm at my stations and some prettydecent separation. (I have talked with many cyclone owners about theirperformance results and this design will stand up to many of them!)

As I proceed I willpost the sketchup file which will include the cut out templates (cone, airramp, Inlet) for anyone interested.

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like you have a great plan. I'm looking forward to following your progress.