Thread: New shop: Angle grinder set off smoke detector

Blog Entries

New shop: Angle grinder set off smoke detector

I didn't see any smoke. Was it some metal particles or something. Am I just going to have to give up the smoke detector in the basement shop?

I gave up on a smoke alarm in my shop. Instead, I have a heat alarm which watches temperature and also rate of rise in temperature. My alarms are on a monitored whole house security system.

Blog Entries
    I have a smoke detector in my shop and I have to be careful about using my propane torch to heat my branding iron or do brazing. It also used to go off when I would do rip cuts and I would get some burning. Aligning my saw ended that problem. Now I try to remember to take the smoke detector out of the room before I use the torch.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Larry mentions something important...in certain circumstances, you just cannot use a standard "smoke" detector because of how they operate when "what you do" puts smoke or smoke-like particles into the air. So a heat rise sensor is a good alternative to avoid false alarms...something you don't want, especially if your detection systems are connected to a security system that's monitored.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

example of when a heat sensor may not work:

2 years ago I turned on the swamp cooler in my garage. Like refer units, they're outside the house, blow cool air thru the window... A few minutes later my garage smoke alarm was going off. The garage was rank with electric smoke smell as the motor was burning up- but still running. It didn't catch fire, but if it had, my garage eaves would've been first to light up, and a heat detector inside would've never known until it was too late...

rather than replace smoke with heat detectors, I'd consider moving the smoke detector to a different location. A not-ideal location is better than no location I would think
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle