Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table saw blade on shaper

Table saw blade on shaper

Greetings all,

I'm an experienced woodworker and try to maintain safety.
    I also like to get the opinions of other to make sure I'm not missing something. Hence my question.

I can get a Forrest Saw Blade with 1 1/4" arbor (the same arbor on my 5 hp shaper).
    Why I want to use it is, I occasionally need to flush trim a face where a curved side meets a flat side. I do this a lot with my shaper (far faster and easier than a router). But some curves push the edge I need trimmed out close to 4". That's beyong all of my current shaper tooling. NapGladu has a 250mm groover - for well over $500.
    A 10" saw blade is under $175 and would fit the bill nicely.
    My shaper has the clearance and power to run it.
    Forrest blades usually are great about minimal deflection.
    I'd take all necessary safety precautions.
    I know they weren't "designed" for shapers... but is there anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

You'll have to be very aware of the RPM and resulting tip speed. Most saws spin in the 3500-4000 rpm range.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Great point!

Should be good there as my Shaper can do 3k or 4k.

Thanks!

I've used paired blades for tenon cheeks and stack dado sets for grooving in the past. As Scott said, just observe the rpm guidelines, and rig up a guard if you don't have a large enough dust hood.

Why do you need such a large diameter? You could use a trimsaw blade or a biscuit joiner blade and have the hole enlarged for a lot less money. Even a skilsaw blade.
    Too high a speed may throw a tooth in your face or gut.
    Bill D.

no effence Ed but you need to get out more . Id have to go into the shop to look but lets say 2,900, 4,400, 6,000, 8,000 and 10,000 but ill check later one of them is a bit more than 2,900 on the lowest. Ive run dadoe blades before and saw blades, no issues but they were not a fresh sharp set and felt some resistance. there are better cutters like the tennon cutters and slotting things the fancy guys on here have, ill be joining them at some point and being fancy im sure they work a fair bit better smoother less resistance and cleaner. plus depending on size and what you are doing a saw blade could have some flex

It's OK if, as other guys have said, you observe rpm limitations. Limit your blade size to the maximum allowable on your shaper as well. Any saw sharpening service will machine a bore to suit your shaper. Also choose tooth geometry to suit the application and stick to a low tooth count. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Just about every shaper I have ever seen has a RPM way too fast for a saw blade... The rpm on mine is 9000 on slow speed and 11000 on high speed...
    Would NEVER consider putting a 10" saw blade on a shaper...
    Definitely verify that your shaper can run that slow...

Lightweight shapers are probably out for a number of reasons but larger shapers have much lower speed options than baby shapers, it is not unusual to see shaper speeds down around 3,000 rpm in fact most large modern ones do go that low so they can swing 9" or so cutters. That is a key here bigger shapers are designed to run very large very heavy cutters and a 10" TS blade would be like a feather to them. Big spindle, with good runout (10" tooling will REALLY magnify runout) as well as very little runout in the tooling itself. As long as the shaper has proper heft and low runout the machine/tooling won't be an issue. The biggest PITA will be guarding it and that is what is going to take the care and thought.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I run a 1-3/8" dado stack in a Rockwell shaper for notching drawers. I did slow it way down by replacing one of the pulleys.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Build a guard that covers the blade at all times and a contraption that keeps the workpiece from getting sucked into the shaper hood opening if something would go wrong - heaven forbid, adjust the rpm down to be within the specs of the blade and be aware (do not compromise safety).
    I regularly mount my 8" stacked dado set on the shaper, however I clamp the workpieces to the sliding table - what a treat to cut tenons this way or chamfers or angled grooves with the blade tilted.

Never had the need to run a 10" blade but smaller blades were no challenge. I wouldn't hesitate to try it...carefully.

Ed, the bottom spindle is out of a Delta Heavy Duty shaper which has two speeds of 9,000 and 11,000 rpm. The top two spindles are out of a real shaper with speeds from 2,900 to 10,000 rpm. Notice any difference?

DSCF9359.JPG
    Larry

I'm sure everyone here knows this, but not every saw shop does (DAMHIK), but make sure the saw plate is correctly re-tensioned after the new arbor hole is bored.

I run saw blades and dado cutters in mine, they work just fine, just remember to use the correct RPM...........Rod.

Coming soon to a store near you......the "Shaper Stop" hot dog cutter!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    I'm sure everyone here knows this, but not every saw shop does (DAMHIK), but make sure the saw plate is correctly re-tensioned after the new arbor hole is bored.
    Good point, this actually came up during a phone call this morning with my sharpening service.