Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, I finally did it.

Blog Entries

Well, I finally did it.

Ordered a new G0766. Should have it by this time next week.
    Very excited.

Congrats! Of course pics are in order when it arrives.

Congrats. Can't wait to see pics. Looks like a great lathe.

I looked at the grizzly but John Keetons review and pics sucked me in on the laguna. I'm only mildly kicking myself on not waiting 2 weeks since the PM 3520b is on sale, but it's still too pricey I think.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-28-2017 at 8:57 PM.

4. Congrats on the new G0766, Bill! Pics are always in order! Lots of great help and info on the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG]. Feel free to join if you have not already done so.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. How lucky I am to have found this forum and the excellent advice and feedback. The 0766 looks to have everything I want and at a lower price than comparable brands. The 22" swing was a major factor in my decision. I'll post pics at some point. Still waiting for my 220 to the garage and plan to put together a DC system that is sufficient and save some $$$ by blowing everything outside. My son-in-law has a bead on some components so we'll see how it goes.

Congrats Bill, I've had my Griz 766 for about a year and couldn't be happier. If you have any questions, there's a great group of turners here and on the community forum. We've all benifited from being on this site.

Jay

Bill, (1) you'll enjoy your new lathe.
    (2) for your dust collector, if you are planning on sucking in anything bigger than dust (like shavings) you will still want to have a separator. Otherwise the shavings will try to go through the suction unit and are likely to plug it up right away. I made a Thien baffle but there are other simpler solutions. You are right though, dumping the dust outside (if you can) is a good idea. I am doing the same thing (dust collector > separator > exhaust outside. I use it for collecting dust, some shavings (push cuts on face work), plus put in a floor sweep which really speeds us clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Thanks everyone. How lucky I am to have found this forum and the excellent advice and feedback. The 0766 looks to have everything I want and at a lower price than comparable brands. The 22" swing was a major factor in my decision. I'll post pics at some point. Still waiting for my 220 to the garage and plan to put together a DC system that is sufficient and save some $$$ by blowing everything outside. My son-in-law has a bead on some components so we'll see how it goes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mullins View Post
    Congrats Bill, I've had my Griz 766 for about a year and couldn't be happier. If you have any questions, there's a great group of turners here and on the community forum. We've all benifited from being on this site.

Jay
    Thanks Jay. That's another major reason I chose the 766... everyone who owns one seems to be well satisfied with it.
    I intend to add a Oneway Stronghold chuck and curious how those who fitted the 766 with one likes the combination. Have not ordered it yet and If you have one how do you like it? I've never owned a real self centering chuck cause I've only owned a HF which definitely does not come with one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Bill, (1) you'll enjoy your new lathe.
    (2) for your dust collector, if you are planning on sucking in anything bigger than dust (like shavings) you will still want to have a separator. Otherwise the shavings will try to go through the suction unit and are likely to plug it up right away. I made a Thien baffle but there are other simpler solutions. You are right though, dumping the dust outside (if you can) is a good idea. I am doing the same thing (dust collector > separator > exhaust outside. I use it for collecting dust, some shavings (push cuts on face work), plus put in a floor sweep which really speeds us clean up.
    Brice, not sure what you mean by "floor sweep".

And, yes, definitely plan on some sort of separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Brice, not sure what you mean by "floor sweep".

And, yes, definitely plan on some sort of separation.

Floor sweep is something along these lines

11. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Thanks Jay. That's another major reason I chose the 766... everyone who owns one seems to be well satisfied with it.
    I intend to add a Oneway Stronghold chuck and curious how those who fitted the 766 with one likes the combination. Have not ordered it yet and If you have one how do you like it? I've never owned a real self centering chuck cause I've only owned a HF which definitely does not come with one.
    Some chucks do not fit all the way up to the spindle shoulder on the 0766. Most of us owners took a fine file, turned the lathe to about 500 rpm, and held the file against the spindle boss, and checked the fit till we had a good fit for our particular chuck insert. Piece of cake! Use some fine sandpaper, and polish it up like new. Not all inserts are manufactured the same. Grizzly chucks don't require any modification, and I heard of another one but don't remember off hand the brand. I use SuperNova chucks and Hurricane chucks, and did take a little off the spindle boss where it registers the insert onto the spindle shoulder.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-29-2017 at 8:23 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Congrats on the purchase and looking forward to pics of new projects.

Welcome to the club!

Blog Entries
    It's here already. Just got a call...it's at the UPS terminal and I can pick it up in the morning.
    Wasn'T expecting it til next week.
    No if it will just fit in a Ranger.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Some chucks do not fit all the way up to the spindle shoulder on the 0766. Most of us owners took a fine file, turned the lathe to about 500 rpm, and held the file against the spindle boss, and checked the fit till we had a good fit for our particular chuck insert. Piece of cake! Use some fine sandpaper, and polish it up like new. Not all inserts are manufactured the same. Grizzly chucks don't require any modification, and I heard of another one but don't remember off hand the brand. I use SuperNova chucks and Hurricane chucks, and did take a little off the spindle boss where it registers the insert onto the spindle shoulder.
    Thanks for that heads-up. I would have paniced if I ran into that without knowing.