Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, I finally did it.

Bill: Congratulations - and welcome to the fold. I made my decision to purchase even before they had made landfall in the USA. Based upon what Roger Chandler had stated, and his experiences with Grizzly - the price and options made the selection easier. I was the guy who wrote to Papa Grizzly regarding the inadequacies of the banjo, and he listened and made good on a redesigned banjo to all owners.

I've had my G0766 for 18 months, and I've had virtually no problems. I've had to replace the speed potentiometer, but that was simple enough. The main problem is this: I cannot walk through my workshop area with getting sucked into that VORTEX. It's so much fun to have a stable, solid lathe and I live in area where hardwoods abound for free after every storm. Enjoy, and keep your tools sharp.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

it should with the tailgate down it will be to long even if you have the long bed ranger , tie her off good and feel your steering might get a little light.

Blog Entries
    I can't wait to run my first piece on it.

David, my last Ranger would do just about anything I'd ask it to do. That thing was a real workhorse. I once loaded 1950 lb of rock slabs when I caught the clerk at the scales in a good mood and let me drive way back in the mine. It handled it, but when I had to cross a bridge that had a fairly steep on ramp the front tires were tap dancing.
    I should be ok. The Ranger I have now is a super cab and regular bed. The additional weight of the 4wd and extended cab ahead of the rear axle ought to handle to hold the tires on the ground. It also has the bigger 4.0 motor that I think probably weighs more than other Ranger motors.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 03-31-2017 at 8:38 AM.

The shipping weight of the crated lathe is around 600 # so it should handle it fine. IIRC the length of the crate is around 69 or 70", so it is possible that it'll fit in your bed with the tailgate up? My only advice is to really strap it down tight. If it is laying in the bed with the tailgate up, make sure to bring some wood blocking to keep it from sliding. I picked mine up with an F150 with an 8 foot bed. At the first traffic light, when I applied the brakes, the crate slide forward hitting (and slightly deforming) the end of the bed. It was like I had been rear-ended. So I stopped and positioned wooden blocking to keep that from happening again.

Blog Entries
    Not quite. But I used a sandbag. Wish I'd thought to slip something between the crate and tailgait.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Not quite. But I used a sandbag. Wish I'd thought to slip something between the crate and tailgait.

Awesome. Have fun getting it out of the truck once you get it home.

Thankfully my laguna came the other day with lift gate service and the guy rolled it into my garage where I was then able to uncrate and assemble at my leisure. Waiting for more pictures.

my ranger was a 86 with sagging springs and a 2 litre everything was a adventure using it for much work, but it is gone now. that is why I suggested that care should be taken for all I knew you were the new owner of my old truck.

Blog Entries
    No....'02. Had to replace a lot of suspension but it's a great truck now. One of the shocks I took off was a bit overdue. After I got it off I grabbed one end to hold it up and the other end dropped to the ground.
    New Bilsteins now and I love them.

Blog Entries
    Taking a break from unloading the 0766. I knew they were heavy but when I grabbed the top leg it felt like the whole truck. They are bolted together.
    I have to aplaud Grizzly. This thing came very well packaged. One note to those in the process of buying one. ..when I did free the top leg it slid to one side. They had routed the power cord between them. Nothing happened but I can see a posibility of pinching the cord.
    Also, I had joked around to someone, that I had just a HF mini and that I was working it so hard by the time I get my Grizzly it might make for a nice big banjo. Then today when I opened a box packed inside what I found was a banjo almost as big as the mini. It's big.
    They shipped so fast I was caught off gard. I needed to rearranget my stash of wood to make room for my new toy. Today I have been working like a dog. But it's done. I'be go the legs out but I don't have any help so I think the bed will sleep in the bed tonight.
    Also, I'm waiting for my son in law's workload to ease up so I can get 220 to the garage. I asked the wife if I could drag it downstairs to the laundry room where there's 220. For some reason she gave that a thumbs down.
    Do they sell 40 foot 220 extention cords?

Back to work. Man that spindle is up there!!!.

You can take a 50' 12/3 contractor grade 110v extension cord and put new 220v ends on it to fit your receptical and lathe.

Also, I'm waiting for my son in law's workload to ease up so I can get 220 to the garage. I asked the wife if I could drag it downstairs to the laundry room where there's 220. For some reason she gave that a thumbs down.
    Do they sell 40 foot 220 extention cords?
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-01-2017 at 5:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    You can take a 50' 12/3 contractor grade 110v extension cord and put new 220v ends on it to fit your receptical and lathe.

He has purchased all the materials. Just returned from Menards. He's using 10/3, I suppose that's what he'll need to run another 50ft or so after I build my detached workshop. Also I intend to use a 3hp for the dust collector
    Perhaps that alone made him use the 10/3. I know nothing about electricity.

He has purchased all the materials. Just returned from Menards. He's using 10/3, I suppose that's what he'll need to run another 50ft or so after I build my detached workshop. Also I intend to use a 3hp for the dust collector
    Perhaps that alone made him use the 10/3. I know nothing about electricity.
    10/3 is larger than 12/3. smaller gauge is bigger. Backwards I know.

i can't swear by it as I'm not an electrician either but I'm thinking 10/3 can support up to 30 amp 220v. 12/3 ok for 20 amp. I'm sure the distance and start up amps mater but most of these 2 and 3 horse motors run between 5 and 13 Amos running and have a surge on start up that may go up 3 to 5 amps give or take.

Bill, something to think about: The original banjo was shorter. In December 2015 they sent out a box of parts to allow the early owners to get the longer banjo. Many people bought the parts that were transfered from the old to the new banjo, so that they could end up with two banjos. I find that for smaller items (like under say 14 or 16" diameter) that I prefer the smaller banjo. Sometimes I'll use both banjos - -one for the inboard side and one for the outboard side. Also, when I am using my Monster Hollower clone I use one of the banjos to support the rear end of the rig and the other to support the cutting end.

The smaller banjo appears that it can still be bought as a bunch of individual parts for a total of around $75 total IIRC. If you look on-line on Griz, the bigger version is referred to as V2. So that is how you can differentiate the two. The slide bushing carries a V2 nomenclature. The original version didn't work very well. But the V2 fits both the old and the new banjo.

You don't need to buy the $3 clamp plate as you got two extra as part of the packing.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 04-01-2017 at 6:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Unbelievable. Ordered a 220 cord reel to hang from the ceiling on Monday. Just got an email telling me it is already out for delivery by my local post office.
    That was just the standard free shipping, 5-7 days.
    I may be able to fire this thing up sometime tonight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post

Now understand why he had me buy a 12/3 grade retractable cord. He"s going to hang it, but when it came and I saw 110-125 volt I called him and all he said was "it'll work".

And guess what? Got a call from the big guy earlier. I'm getting 220 to the lathe today !!!