Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, I finally did it.

Blog Entries
    Isn't supposed to come off the same way the spur drive comes off? The rod provided is not long enough. What am I doing wrong (please)

2. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Yes, it fit right and the chuck shouldered at the end of the threads, but not to the larger shoulder near the lathe casting. I have to assume that's how it's supposed to fit.
    As I wrote earlier the chuck body shows .002 runnout, but I'm going to clean both surfaces better and check again.
    Most of us took a flat file, and ran the lathe at about 500 rpm's, and took off a couple thousandth's, testing the fit frequently, for our particular chuck. That boss registers the chuck on the spindle, and different manufacturers do not all have the same dimensions on the inside of their inserts. Some fit with no mods necessary, some need a little off the boss.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    It is on there tight and true. I just can't take the chuck off.

Blog Entries
    It sank good and tight when I mounted it. No obstructions

I had same problem with a G0698 and a Oneway Talon chuck. I broke the spindle lock trying to get it unstuck. Here is a link to a thread about it.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...98+stuck+chuck
    Fred

Blog Entries
    I'm almost too embarrassed to admit that I was so stupid as to think the chuck had a tapered end that fits in the spindle. But, that's what the problem was.
    I do find it odd, though, that Oneway numbered the jaw position but not the jaws.
    That can wait for another day. I want to face the bottom of what (I hope) will become a bowl. Thanks for your efforts to help, but there are just days when my mind doesn't want to cooperate with the task at hand.

Blog Entries
    Now i've lost my tape measure.

Bill, after you get the chuck off, file the flat area to the left of the threads so that the chuck threads all the way to the back. It is called the register. Your chuck needs to seat on it.
    The problem relates to chuck manufacturers make the chuck to screw on and over a 1.250 spindle. But Grizzly decided to make the rear of the spindle 1.260. They made a mistake.
    Also, you may want to consider using a polyethylene washer between the chuck and the spindle. That will help the chuck unscrew.
    Use the locking pin to lock the spindle. I usually use the chuck key to twist off the chuck. This isn't the best thing to do but as long as the forces are small, it isn't all that bad. Once I have my chuck a little more firmly attached so I put in a 1" board in the chuck jaws to give me more leverage.
    If you ever get your chuck really badly stuck on, use a lubricant along the lines of liquid wrench - leave it sit for 24 hours and try again. If that doesn't work consider differential temperature applied between the spindle and the chuck. Google it if it doesn't make sense.

Blog Entries
    So this is not properly seated?
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, it does not look like it is properly seated. The left side of the chuck should be all the way against the right side of the "register". If you look at the spindle, starting from the right side, you,ll see (1) threads, (2) blank area for set-screws to push in to, (3) an intermediate area that doesn't serve much purpose and (4) the "register".
    If you did not file about 0.010" off of your spindle, it appears to be interfering with proper lock up.
    I think that I see a space between the register and the end of your chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    So this is not properly seated?

Blog Entries

Smile

I guess there's no risk of creating runout because if filled down, there will be no contact between the spindle and the adaptor.
    What's the best way to go about (gulp) filing down the spindle between the spline and shoulder?
    I'm in bed and the chuck is on the lathe in the garage, but I don't recall a step in the spindle diameter between the spline and the shoulder, something that makes no sense to me. If the adaptor fits over the spline, why not the rest if the shaft?
    I'll look at it tomorrow.
    Another reason not to worry myself about filing down the spindle is that i'll more than likely never use anything but Oneway and even if I did create runnout it would not effect the tapered drivers. It's simply clearance, isn't it.

Blog Entries
    Back when I worked in the shop any surface that was simply clearance we'd always kick the feed up as far as we could, even though the engineers wanted a .012 feed per revolution.

13. Don't over complicate this, Bill....it is simple. Hold a flat file to that area that the chuck is currently stuck at. [register/boss]. And take off a little, checking the fit often, until it goes all the way back to the spindle shoulder. Brice saying Grizzly made a mistake, I do not agree with. Chuck manufacturers are not totally consistent with the inside diameter on their inserts. There are a couple brands of chucks that fit the 1,260 spindle size, including Grizzly chucks. [that may give you some insight ...they may do it purposely for proprietary reasons to sell their own line of chucks]. And there are a couple others I have heard about as well. First thing I did was to file that boss down when I got my 0766, but I had the same previous experience with my former G0698 lathe. About 500 rpm's is a good speed, and when you reach the right size, then take some 600 grit and polish it while running....it should look like new.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Don't over complicate this, Bill....it is simple. Hold a flat file to that area that the chuck is currently stuck at. [register/boss]. And take off a little, checking the fit often, until it goes all the way back to the spindle shoulder. Brice saying Grizzly made a mistake, I do not agree with. Chuck manufacturers are not totally consistent with the inside diameter on their inserts. There are a couple brands of chucks that fit the 1,260 spindle size, including Grizzly chucks. [that may give you some insight ...they may do it purposely for proprietary reasons to sell their own line of chucks]. And there are a couple others I have heard about as well. First thing I did was to file that boss down when I got my 0766, but I had the same previous experience with my former G0698 lathe. About 500 rpm's is a good speed, and when you reach the right size, then take some 600 grit and polish it while running....it should look like new.
    Thanks, Roger. I will do that.
    But the chuck was not stuck on the spindle. I forgot that it screwed on. That's what I meant when I wrote that I was almost too embarrassed to admit. It screwed right off with hardly any effort.
    I thought it seemed odd having the chuck set out so far, but I figured they must have a reason, such as clearance to turn or sand closer to the end of the piece. Perhaps I should send them a bill for my labor?

Boy, what a world of difference having a nice lathe and chuck after using that 10" HF mini.
    I want to thank all who helped me make the decision. The members here are great.

15. Glad you got it figured out Bill!