Thread: New Shop Assembly Table

New Shop Assembly Table

I haven't posted anything for a while, thought I would post this. For the past year I've been busy building projects for other folks. I had pretty much a free week last week and decided to build something I wanted which was a new assembly/outfeed table. My old table was built a couple years ago off the Fine Wood Working plan that everyone seems to copy. There are some things that I have never liked about the table built from that plan. The final straw was when it started sagging in the middle (I built it on casters). I donated it to another shop and built this one with the features that I felt would better meet my needs.
    It is 52"x 76" x 34.5"h, on 5" casters. The table and drawers are built from 3/4" birch ply with 2 sheets of ply and the black laminate for the top. The top is trimmed with 1.5"x2.25" Doug fir. There are 13 drawers on 22" slides for storage plus one door compartment for the compressor. I removed the Kreg Klamp tracks from a portable top and installed them on the back side of this table. To resist sagging, I screwed and glued the ply floor to a 2x4 frame under the table (between the casters). Also there is a full width vertical divider running the length of the table, screwed and glued to the floor.
    Amazing how much plywood I burned though by the time the drawers were finished, probably 5-6 sheets.
    Anyhow, I think I'll like this better than the old design. Never know, may be cutting it up next year and building some new and improved.
    table 1r.jpgtable 2r.jpgtable 3r.jpg
    Last edited by julian abram; 03-28-2017 at 7:34 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Very nice! That ought to last more than a couple of years.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

That's a pretty darn nice setup!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not sure "table" is proper term; even "island" seems a bit inadequate. I'm thinking "assembly continent" will do nicely.

As an aside, do you ever run into Gary Striegler? He's made a name for himself as a purveyor of fine sawdust. My brothers and I went to FHS with him and his brother.

That should take care of you for a long time...... Looks great.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Not sure "table" is proper term; even "island" seems a bit inadequate. I'm thinking "assembly continent" will do nicely.

As an aside, do you ever run into Gary Striegler? He's made a name for himself as a purveyor of fine sawdust. My brothers and I went to FHS with him and his brother.
    Malcom, I don't know Gary personally but have seen him around town a time or two, in Lowe's I remember once. Thought about asking for his autograph, he's a sawdust celebrity. Actually I have enjoyed reading his articles and watching his videos. I toured some houses he trimmed out in a subdivision a few years ago. Very talented fellow, does very nice work in a practical, efficient manner. How can you not love a woodworker who performs miracles with a track saw and Kreg jig?

A good size indeed. I have grooves in my outfield table for jigs, I would not want it on wheels. Its main purpose seems to be storage, when all those drawers get full I do wonder how often it will get moved. If it's 34&1/2" high the casters don't look 5".
    I also wonder if the compressor will get enough ventilation, they get very hot. The extension cord to plug the table in is probably in a 15 amp socket so six sockets and a compressor may be overkill. You may need armoured cable for code, I did on mine.
    Hope I'm not over analysing, I can do that.

I like it - great bench, Julian, but it's as big as our shop! LOL! Ok, not quite but close.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Really nice! I use the same Kreg Trak setup on mine nearly everyday. Very handy. Built the base with a solid wood open frame, I need to add the drawers. Inspired now!
    Don't ask me how I know that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hyde View Post
    Really nice! I use the same Kreg Trak setup on mine nearly everyday. Very handy. Built the base with a solid wood open frame, I need to add the drawers. Inspired now!
    Yes, having Kreg Trak permanently installed is really helpful asset. I installed the Trak mostly to use with face frames but have already used it several times for general clamping items to the table. On drawers, I've kinda of adopted Tom Clark's philosophy, you can't have too many.