Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 2017 antivirus that won't bog down my Win7 PC?

Best 2017 antivirus that won't bog down my Win7 PC?

I'm looking for recs on antivirus software that won't bog down my system, e.g. McAfee & Norton. I've been running Avast Pro but I'm fed up with all the upgrade nags from them. Anyone running Bitdefender?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I purely use Microsoft's built in capability for anti-virus/anti-malware and firewall and have been doing that since Win7 first arrived all the way through Win10.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use AVG free. Since it's free they try to get you to upgrade to the pay version. If you want free, you have to put up with that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Testing shows that Microsoft's product is almost worthless. Sad.

I have been using Bitdefender. It is not free, but it is pretty cheap.

I probably should have put this in my original post; I'm not looking for free. I haven't used a free AV in years, free usually comes with constant nags, which I hate. I have been running the Pro (paid) version of Avast for the last few years. This year they have started a steady stream of nags for me to buy their 'additional' products. See ya!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I run AVG free and there is no ads for upgrades unless you click on it. Just schedule to run a check at a certain time of the day and you are not bothered. It may not be the best but it still is a firewall and it does find things and warns me or lets me know it stopped a threat. I like it.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I probably should have put this in my original post; I'm not looking for free. I haven't used a free AV in years, free usually comes with constant nags, which I hate. I have been running the Pro (paid) version of Avast for the last few years. This year they have started a steady stream of nags for me to buy their 'additional' products. See ya!
    You can pay for AVG. I don't know if that will stop them from sending you "upgrade opportunities" however. But as John noted, you don't have to pay any attention to them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Microsoft's own anti-virus product was very well rated three or four years when most people still used Windows 7. I have no idea how good their current product is with Windows 10.

I do know that Windows Defender slows Windows 10 PCs to a crawl at work, but that could be a conflict with our Symantec anti-virus software.

Interesting topic.....I will follow this one closely.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

FWIW Newegg has Kaspersky for free after rebate. I'd jump on that if I needed AV.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    You can pay for AVG. I don't know if that will stop them from sending you "upgrade opportunities" however. But as John noted, you don't have to pay any attention to them.

Mike
    I also have AVG free and get really annoyed by the nag popups. The worst is the popup reminding me that they can optimize my power savings when running on the battery. You cannot disable the message without buying the premium version. It pops up at least once a minute and if you were typing, you lose keys until you click the "x".

One thing I have heard is that the popups are much worse if you install the 30 day trial version of the premium product. It is better if you completely uninstall the trial version and install the free version. I am ready to try that approach.

Steve

I've used BitDefender for 2-3 years on my wife's Windows 7 and Windows 10 and would recommend it. The interface is a little more simplistic than I'd like but it works well. When you start the PC, it pops up a message saying it's awake but it's later in the process than you'd expect. This is normal behavior and it is protecting internet connections and opened files immediately as the computer boots.

We recently had a problem that could have been caused by a virus or by BitDefender. BitDefender support was reasonably prompt and helpful. Didn't solve the problem but didn't brush it off either and it turned out it was not their problem to solve. It was Windows 10 stepping on itself.

The best answer if you can do it someday is to get out of Windows. I've been on Linux (OpenSuse) for years and don't use anti-virus at all. I took advantage of the problem with Windows to wean my wife off of it and onto OpenSuse. It hasn't been painless but it's more stable, more secure and free. In the meantime, I'd say get BitDefender.

I use Kaspersky on Win 7 & Win 10 and have no problems.

I've been very happy with Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition. It's not cheap (not outrageous either, $60 for two licenses/year) , but it seems to be completely unobtrusive. It was recommended by my IT guys for my last business but I've been using it at home for the last four years. I've had a terrible time with the other products I've used over the years, this one just works.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Testing shows that Microsoft's product is almost worthless.
    Yet there is other testing that shows it performs as well as any other...screwy business for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...