Thread: Powder coated tumblers

Question Powder coated tumblers

Hey everyone, I've done a couple Powder Coated Yeti's and Ozark Trails and even through the P.C. finish is different I still get the same results. I always get a color haze left over on the stainless. I have read on here and other websites that if you scrub it with rubbing alcohol or Goo Gone it will comes off. I haven't tried goo gone but I have tried other things and it seems to lighten it some but always leaves a stain of the original color.

I try to hit it pretty hard, despite what the material database says to use.

I have a 30 watt ULS 2.3 and I have been hitting it with 100%P, 50%S and 500ppi. The material database in the driver says 36%p and 100%s.

Here is the last one I did, this was with me scrubbing the hell out of it with alcohol. Its more pronounced than the camera shows.

Is that the nature of the beast?

I haven't done many of these, but I believe others have said that doing 2 passes is the key to getting good results from powder coated items. I'm sure you'll have some more input here shortly, but that's my advice for now.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

If the finish can take it, acetone does a great job removing residue. Two passes will almost guarantee clean results and even then I'll clean them with denatured alcohol.

I've ran into Hydroflasks that have had enough p-coating on them to stop bullets. Like .020" thick or more. These animals take 3 passes at Cermark speeds with the GCC. It's ridiculous.

The best 'average' results I've found is to run one pass fairly slow at 500 res- then IF NEEDED I run a quicker pass at 380, this usually takes care of it, ridiculous thicknesses notwithstanding...

But thanks to my wife I found the absolute best cleaner for these, 'almost' acetone -- which would be 'strengthening' or 'nourishing' fingernail polish remover-
    The store brands of this stuff work great! It's mostly acetone, but while straight acetone makes p-coating tacky almost immediately, this stuff is buffered down enough to give you much more working time-
    not a LOT mind you, but "one thousand one one thousand two" for the damp wipe followed by a dry wipe works great. Two seconds with straight acetone and my rag is sticking to it..
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Try denatured alcohol first, not rubbing alcohol. Cuts all of the various colors I have done, but without the risk of acetone. If it won't cut it, acetone or fingernail polish remover Kev suggested. And carefully use a magic eraser. They will scratch some coatings, so careful!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I use orange cleaner most of the time but I never do a second pass on cups. I will do that on flat items if needed.

There are some things that rubbing alcohol cleans better than dna. I just bought a bottle on isopropyl 91% yesterday. In this case it is to clean Apple watch bands and it works much better than dna. That said, most of the time I use dna.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I tried Denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner, pure simple green concentrate windex with no change. I'll have to pick up some fingernail polish remover and see what that does.

Is this a case where less is more? Perhaps backing down your power would yield a better result. FWIW, the tumbler looks good to me.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Automotive polishing compound.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

This is a p-coated flat aluminum lid engraved by my fiber. It took 5 passes to get thru this much coating-
    and I've ran into a few Hydroflasks with this much coating-
    deeppc.jpg

When it's this thick, there's no doing them once, or at lower power I'm afraid!

And on those with a nice reasonably thin coating, results don't seem better at lower powers that work than full power...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle