Thread: I feel like I just passed the sharpening final!

I feel like I just passed the sharpening final!

After asking tons of questions here, and investing in a handful of Shaptons and other supporting cast members, and putting in many many hours of faithful back flatening and other trial and error frustrations, today I had an experience that felt like I just aced the final.
    I was working on a very nice piece of 5/4 select Eastern pine. Straight grain and actually quite hard for pine. I needed to straighten the edge before ripping it to width on the table saw (7' long). Instead of tacking a straight edge to it to run against the fence, like I always used to do, I instead clamped it in my vise on edge and grabbed my old wooden Bailey 31 jointer plane that I have been working so hard on trying to get the iron to perform as I see others do here and on You Tube.

I knew I was getting close and the last test results were good but not great. But this board was completely different! After a couple passes that aligned the board edge with the sole of the plane, I started getting perfect shavings shooting straight up probably ten inches before falling over. I couldn't believe it. I just kept running off shavings shooting straight up in the air. Consistent every time. So much fun!

I post this simply to thank those who share their knowledge here and elsewhere.

This was a fun way to end the day. And a fun conclusion to believing in a system and following it through.

Blog Entries
    I knew I was getting close and the last test results were good but not great. But this board was completely different! After a couple passes that aligned the board edge with the sole of the plane, I started getting perfect shavings shooting straight up probably ten inches before falling over. I couldn't believe it. I just kept running off shavings shooting straight up in the air. Consistent every time. So much fun!
    Welcome to the joys of planing.

Be careful, shavings can become mesmerizing causing you to take off more of a board than was intended. DAMHIKT!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Welcome to the joys of planing.

Be careful, shavings can become mesmerizing causing you to take off more of a board than was intended. DAMHIKT!

jtk
    Ha! I actually checked that. I had a quarter inch to play with.

Wait until you have to wade through a large pile of shavings.....
    messy floor.JPG
    Tonight's mess....was about ready to fly the broom around....