Thread: Never know what you will find in urban wood

Never know what you will find in urban wood

I was turning this very soft piece of avocado. Something caught and the wood rolls across the floor.

It is a piece of plastic - I am guessing one of those plastic ties to support the sapling against a stake. I dug it out and will try again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

That is a new one for sure. Beats 2-3 big green worms in your face though.

Blog Entries
    We humans drive so many things into trees that perhaps one day they will sprout preloaded with foreign objects.

In California it is plastic ties, in Kentucky it is lead bullets and old farm fence!😄😄😄

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    In California it is plastic ties, in Kentucky it is lead bullets and old farm fence!😄😄😄
    I found a bullet in a bandsaw cut down the side of one big walnut block drying for years. I continued to slice from one side and ended up with a stack of thin boards with at least 50 bullets. You can see the trails through the wood, some through years of new growth over older bullets. The wood might make an interesting box...

At least the lead bullets don't wipe out chainsaw teeth like a nice piece of barbed wire.

JKJ

Yup - I have found bullets, nails and screws in the wood I have turned and is the reason why I use a metal detector before chainsawing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I spent 2 years working at a mill that sawed reclaimed timbers into floor boards. The first few months before I started running the saw my job was "nail puller" which basically meant using a metal detector to locate and then remove all metal from the timbers. I found all kinds of crazy stuff. I still have a few jars of old bullets and even musket balls somewhere at my dads house. Strangest thing I can recall finding was a cross pendant buried about 4 inches into one. I also found a gold piece once, and one time I hit a wet stone when sawing (detector did not find that one for me).

I'm still trying to find a deal on a metal detector but as you have shown, there's more hidden under the bark than metal!
    RD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Old Osage Orange fence post!

Long time ago, I had a rural farm in TN, and behind the house was a stout old black walnut tree - 30" diameter. I had the sawmill come out and look at it - NO WAY. Too close to the house; probably had clothes lines and nails in it, and with a circular saw blade, they would not touch it.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Picked up several crotches from a couple of Oak trees being cut down in a car dealers parking lot. At least five inches inside one of them I found a key ring with two keys with my favorite Thompson's bowl gouge.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I found a bullet in a bandsaw cut down the side of one big walnut block drying for years. I continued to slice from one side and ended up with a stack of thin boards with at least 50 bullets. You can see the trails through the wood, some through years of new growth over older bullets. The wood might make an interesting box...

At least the lead bullets don't wipe out chainsaw teeth like a nice piece of barbed wire.

JKJ
    Lead bullet in wood ... how cool! Lead inlay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Picked up several crotches from a couple of Oak trees being cut down in a car dealers parking lot. At least five inches inside one of them I found a key ring with two keys with my favorite Thompson's bowl gouge.
    Have you found what the fit yet?
    May be a treasure box buried 10 paces in one direction of that tree.

I noticed what I first thought to be a knot when slabbing a log on my bandsaw mill, then noticed it was grey in the middle with a copper ring around it. Later I determined that it was a copper jacketed bullet and remembered taking a test shot with my deer rifle a couple of months previous.

Had a massive--50"++-- big leaf maple at the mill and we cut thru a ~~3/8" piece of steel. Dug out both ends and it was a pair of pliers. It was 18"+ in so must have been there for many years.