Thread: Give up on Porter Cable 55160 Omnijig?

Give up on Porter Cable 55160 Omnijig?

I acquired a Porter Cable 55160 Omnijig joinery setup. It seems to be well made but it didn't come with any of the template guides, which are impossible to find. It's complete otherwise. Anyone know of a source for these templates? Should I just give up on this thing?

Is it the old 24" or the newer one? I've got spare 7/8" templates for the older one. I wore one out on mine and had three new ones made, then I bought a automatic dovetailer, so the spares are going to last me an eternity.

I think that model number translates to the smaller 16" model. You do have my attention on the spare 24" templates!
    Mine is showing its age, and I haven't yet made the leap to an auto machine.
    How do you like your's? What do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Is it the old 24" or the newer one? I've got spare 7/8" templates for the older one. I wore one out on mine and had three new ones made, then I bought a automatic dovetailer, so the spares are going to last me an eternity.
    The 55160 is the 16" version but I don't know if it's old or new. All of the pics I've seen of the 55160 all look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    The 55160 is the 16" version but I don't know if it's old or new. All of the pics I've seen of the 55160 all look the same.
    It is the older version, the updated version (maybe 4-5 years ago) is only available in 24".
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have the older 16" version that came with half blind DT templates but haven't been able to find thru or finger joint template. Let me know if you find a source.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    It is the older version, the updated version (maybe 4-5 years ago) is only available in 24".
    The 55160 16" model as well as the 77240 24" model are both the 'new' model jig-they even share the same owners manual. They were introduced late 2007/early 2008 and were pretty much an instant flop. I have the 16" 55160 stored away somewhere in my shop-haven't used it in years.

The 16" 5116 and 24" 7116 are the original, 'old' model OmniJigs.

I sell a 24" template I make. I was making the 16" until a case on ebay was opened on me saying it did not work. Its a perfect reproduction though. Its just the top template and does not include the l brackets you need. You have those by chance?

Hi Mike,
    Are the 16" templates you make for the 5116 older model?? Thanks John.