Thread: Domino 700 Accessories?

Domino 700 Accessories?

I am considering getting the Domino 700. What accessories are recommended!

Obviously, the Domino assortments that include cutters, buy them from Axminster in the UK and you will save a couple of hundred bucks. If you want to use the smaller 500 sized Dominos then get the Seneca Woodworking small Domino kit. If you do that you will want the small Domino assortment, the cheapest place for that is German Amazon, $185 shipped vs $304 in the US.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

1) Seneca Woodworking small bit adapter
    2) CMT cutters (1/2 the price on AMZN than Festool cutters)
    3) Small roundover bits for the router table + block plane, and shop made planing stop. I make my own tenon stock. It's cheaper, strong, and the fit is perfect. It becomes quick and will save you the most money in the long term.

I have a 500 domino assortment inbound from Germany as we speak. It is a little nerve wracking ordering in another language that you don't speak. I will rest a little easier once it makes it state side. Google translator was invaluable.

April 3rd is another price hike. Order soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    It is a little nerve wracking ordering in another language that you don't speak.
    When you are on Amazon.de look on the tool bar at the top, look right under the yellow search button and you can change the language to English which translates all the actual Amazon words to English and 75% of the listings will be all English and pretty much 100% of the Prime listings which is what you want to search anyway. The emails you get from them are still in German though. That said neither of the XL assortments ship from Amazon UK or DE now, you need to go to Axminster for them.

Oh and the first thing a new Domino owner should do is sand down a few of each sized Dominos and mark them as testers. If you dry to dry fit without using slightly undersized Dominos they can be a huge pain to get back out.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Amen to that!

I would nix the Senica kit and save that money toward a 500. Buy just the bit adapter. The plate is a poorly engineered pain in the butt, poor visibility with it on and its just a chunk of aluminum. you can not use any of the items in the accessory kit with the plate in place. Make it out of wood and make the cutout around the bit bigger while you are at it. The 700 is nice, but if I had to do it over I would buy the 500 first. The 700 is just too big for small pieces, and for large stuff I prefer traditional M&T. Or, just buy both.

Wait... Can you order the actual Domino machine itself through Amazon germany and save money? I have never heard of this trick before!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I would nix the Senica kit and save that money toward a 500. Buy just the bit adapter. The plate is a poorly engineered pain in the butt, poor visibility with it on and its just a chunk of aluminum. you can not use any of the items in the accessory kit with the plate in place. Make it out of wood and make the cutout around the bit bigger while you are at it. The 700 is nice, but if I had to do it over I would buy the 500 first. The 700 is just too big for small pieces, and for large stuff I prefer traditional M&T. Or, just buy both.
    while I agree that 700 is bulky/heavy, I had the 500 and sold it after I bought the 700 (plus the Senica kit). I wish I had bought it when I was making 30+ passage doors. If having both is an option yes, else it's clear what I recommend if one wants to keep one only.

I checked Amazon Germany and the only available dealer for the 700 doesn't ship to the US

don't do it i am sure they wont work on 110v these are motors, buy over seas for non electrical items only.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stein View Post
    Wait... Can you order the actual Domino machine itself through Amazon germany and save money? I have never heard of this trick before!
    There are a couple of places that will sell corded Festool but most of the ones from Europe are 240v, they will run fine on our 240v but you have to change the plug. The general rule is the money saved is not worth the potential warranty issues and having to send it to Germany for repair since even if you are willing to pay to have it fixed Festool USA may not have the parts. If the particular tool is not available here it may be worth the problems and some people import some of those tools.

In any event you save more on the accessories than you do on actual tools when you order from Europe.

The 500 vs 700 debate is different for everyone. I had a 500 bought the 700 sold the 500 then rebought the 500 since I use 500 sized Dominos more and much prefer using the 500 for 500 sized Dominos. It seems I am doomed to own both of them.