Thread: Posting Sideways Pictures

Posting Sideways Pictures

They cause neck ache & dizziness and the smartphone seems to be the culprit! If you are posting smartphone pictures please take the time to rotate them into the right orientation for viewing. There are several free rotate & flip apps for iOS and Android. I always download them onto my computer desktop, rotate them & save before posting.

Thanks!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The iPhone includes information in the picture that indicates the orientation. So when you view a picture on an Apple device, it always is properly oriented. But if you take that picture to another platform that doesn't read the orientation information in the picture, the picture will likely come out sideways, upside down, or maybe even right side up - it all depends on how you took the picture.

If you want to test this, take four pictures with your iPhone holding the iphone in the four different orientations. It helps if you take a picture of a piece of paper with an arrow to show how the phone if being held (I use the "home" button as the bottom of the arrow). Then view your pictures with a viewer that does not read the orientation information. You'll see which orientation gives you an upright picture.

Alternately, you can do as Bruce suggests and save your picture and rotate it before posting.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I routinely use Windows Live Photo Gallery to view and correct improperly oriented photos when I fix them. It is FREE. It is easy to use. It works on Windows 7 and later.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute