Thread: polypropylene sheets

polypropylene sheets

Will Titebond glue stick to Polypropylene sheets. I'm looking for a product where I glue wood using titebond and the over run of the glue can be cleaned up like you can when using silicone. I cannot find silicone in a large 24" x 48" to use like the availibility of sheets of polypropylene.

Not sure about the polypro and PVA glue. I do know you can get at least 24x36 silicone sheets at restaurant supply houses since I have bought them. I don't remember if they had anything larger or not.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

PVA glues like Titebond won't bond to non-porous materials like polypropylene or polyethylene. You can easily convince yourself of this if you've got an old bottle of PVA sitting around, because the glue that has hardened above the "water line" at the top of the bottle will peal right off. Polypropylene is highly hydrophobic, so the water based PVA doesn't really penetrate it at all.

My solution to your need, is to use 8 or 10 mil polyethylene. Glue peals off, but the sheet is easily disposable and replaceable for next to nothing.

Blog Entries
    PVA glue does not stick well to oil based polyurethane finished plywood. My bench top has had glue residue that has dried on it and it flakes off pretty easily. Even easier if you wax the top with Johnson Paste Wax.

Almost nothing will stick to UHMW sheets. Not cheap, but you can get large sized sheets in a variety of thicknesses. Here is a 4' x 8' x 1/4" sheet
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-29-2017 at 7:56 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This may be of some help: http://www.thistothat.com/index.shtml

As stated above. basically nothing will hold to polypropylene. I picked up a huge pile of polypropylene a couple years ago and did some research into glues and came up with nothing practical that would work. The plastic is however very useful for small parts, jugs, fixtures and such things. I have used lots of it, more than I ever thought I would. It's an interesting animal to work with so plan on spending some time developing your skills.

Robert

Before I retired I worked in silicon valley as a HVAC foreman. We used a lot of poly-pro. for making duct and other things. We welded it together. Harbor freight has a welder but I do not know where to get the filler rod needed. Likely the supplier of the poly-pro will have it.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

waxed paper?

If not using waxed paper, you may proceed as proposed. Concur regarding: "glues and nothing practical that would work" for bonding anything to all PE and PP polymer materials.

I once had occasion to patch and repair a cracked Polyethylene plastic tub liner for a top-load laundry washer and fully researched available glue options. There are certain uniquely formulated multi-component specialty adhesives that can adhere, but their cost is nearly equivalent in weight to Gold. Dispensed in packets measured by single digit gram weights, the required special mixing and applicator hand tool alone cost over a hundred bucks! I had success with both packets of treasure and that particular fiberglass patch repair has lasted to this day. Recovered my investment in the precious applicator by only keeping it one day and promptly returning the tool as originally boxed in clean, "as new" condition. Don't even think that mere single part glues could stick to polypro, even epoxies and phenolic resin glues will not stick... "Nothing Practical" will stick to smooth PE or PP polymer materials; HDPE is even more slick & challenging.
    Last edited by Morey St. Denis; 03-31-2017 at 7:19 PM.