Thread: Dewalt 1200 Restoration

Dewalt 1200 Restoration

I like old radial arm saws . I've got a 1511 I restored about 6 years ago, recently came across a rusty model 1200 from 1962 which was screaming for attention so I am in the process of a total tear down and repaint.

First pic is the 1511 in service, others are 1200 parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Every nut and bolt gets cleaned and de-rusted along the way. Paint is 2 part epoxy.

It's looking good!!

I have a couple you could practice on.

They look great.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

LOL, this is actually my third. Don't need anymore

There are a handful of other parts that still need painting or prep and painting. Then a new table of course, matbe another 2 or 3 weeks.

Great looking saw Chris. But...you are one sick puppy!! ;>)
    earl

I love restoring them more then using them. I am finishing up a 790 restore. Somebody on CL is tempting me with a medium arm GP dressed in clown colors. I wnat to buy it so I don't have to look at the hideous green and yellow paint scheme. Must resist.

Yep (sick puppy comment), I wasn't supposed to have three. I like having two so one can be set for dado's on a project while the other does cross cuts. The motor on my MBF had burned out so the plan when the 1200 came along was to rehab that and part out the remains of the MBF. Alas a cheap motor came along...

Just to horrify half the board <g>, occasionally if the Unisaw is occupied I'll even RIP on the well set up RAS. Not too often because the dust collection when ripping is pretty horrid but perfectly safe when done correctly . Handy for moulding as well.

Post some pics of the 790 when you get a chance Cary.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris True View Post
    Post some pics of the 790 when you get a chance Cary.

Last edited by Cary Falk; 03-30-2017 at 9:00 AM.

Nice!

I picked up a fresh badge from Ebay to replace the one that was on it which was a little different style. Had to drill for new drive screws.

Various motor shots which is ready for the carriage when it eventually gets repainted.

I have a 10" 1400 that my dad bought, it was three months old when he bought it. Solid accurate machines. Later ones aren't so much.

Final series of pieces needing paint. Citristrip works pretty well softening up most of the paint such that 80-90% of it comes off with a scrubby sponge. then a wire wheel or flap sander does the rest.

On the to the table

After painting the remaining parts on Saturday it was not hot enough to fully harden off the two part epoxy @ 60 degrees so I set the parts in the autoclave for 3 or 4 hours, also known as my idling van with the fan on high and the heat set to immolate .

Nearing completion