Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneway stronghold

Blog Entries

Oneway stronghold

Where's a good place to buy a chuck? I want to add a Oneway Stronghold for the 0766 that's on its way to me.
    Who's good to do business with, Rockler? Is their price of $274 competative?
    Thanks

Bill, you can Google to find a good price but remember that the chuck also requires the taper-lock adapter and that will add to the overall price.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Couple here without the thread adapter that might save some money if you buy the adapter separate for a good price

http://www. ebay .com/itm/ Oneway-Stronghold-Chuck-Heavy-Duty-4-Jaw-Scroll-Chuck-2137-/182499288209?hash=item2a7dce2491:gnYAAOSwCU1Y0ss2

https://www.amazon.com/Oneway-2137-S...ronghold+chuck
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 03-31-2017 at 9:28 AM. Reason: direct links to eBay are not allowed as per TOS

I find pricing is pretty consistent with these. So shipping cost and availability is the major factor

In Canada, this is one of the best places: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,330,69091
    Not sure how good they are shipping across the border

Oneway also sells direct: https://oneway.ca/products-category/...uck-(Complete)

Reminder, these are Canuck Bucks...

Right from Oneway

$286.95 for a complete package, that is taper lock, key and jumbo woodworm screw included

$214.95 for body package only, has the taper lock included and key included.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Vogel View Post
    In Canada, this is one of the best places: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,330,69091
    Not sure how good they are shipping across the border
    Reminder, these are Canuck Bucks...
    Lee Valley has no trouble selling in the US, and their website offers US $ pricing. I know from extensive experience.

hartville hardware is having a 10%off sale on pretty much everything through march 31st. They have oneway and sorby chucks if you are looking. https://www.hartvilletool.com/catego...nd-accessories

Michael

FYI,
    The insert is suppose to be included with the chuck per Oneway. Some dealers pull the insert and sell it separately getting an extra $25-35. Verify what comes with the package. If it were me... I would order from Oneway if I was not in a big hurry.
    VincesWoodNWonders

Buy direct!!!!! Don't forget the value or lack of for the Canadian $$. I have bought from Lee Valley but get better service directly from Oneway. Just my 2 cents worth! By the way I do believe it is one of the better chucks available. When you make the purchase think carefully about what you wish to hold with it and buy the chuck body and the jaws that best suite your plans.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Blog Entries
    Since it comes with the no.2 jaws, I think I'll order the jaws that have the rubber inserts right away, then figure from there. That setup looks interesting...chucking on the rim of the bowl to finish the bottom .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Since it comes with the no.2 jaws, I think I'll order the jaws that have the rubber inserts right away, then figure from there. That setup looks interesting...chucking on the rim of the bowl to finish the bottom .
    I have found the #3 or even #4 jaws to be very useful for larger turnings and almost never use my Cole jaws to grab the rim to return the bottom but would use a friction jam chuck and live center to turn down to a nub before getting a vacuum system. The friction jam chuck is still the only way to do the bottom on some of the natural edge pieces with worm holes as example.

Not every one turns in the same manner, here is where I use the Mega Jumbo jaws a lot and hardly ever a jamb chuck.

Having options on how you can hold pieces is very important, like some use vacuum a lot bot that doesn’t work always either, also the use of a faceplate is often the best and safest manner of holding a blank, rather than a chuck.

When ordering a chuck at Oneway you can ask for a different set of jaws, rather than the standard #2, the same as asking for the insert you need for your lathe.
    Have fun and take care

I'm with Thomas. I have a lot of jaw sets and a set of Cole Jaws. Depending on what you are turning it is very possible that the money spent on Cole jaws would be better put to buy or build a vacuum chuck. I use mine all the time except when there are voids or texture or I turn real thin.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Not every one turns in the same manner, here is where I use the Mega Jumbo jaws a lot and hardly ever a jamb chuck.

Having options on how you can hold pieces is very important, like some use vacuum a lot bot that doesn’t work always either, also the use of a faceplate is often the best and safest manner of holding a blank, rather than a chuck.

When ordering a chuck at Oneway you can ask for a different set of jaws, rather than the standard #2, the same as asking for the insert you need for your lathe.
    Thanks for the tip, Leo. Which would you recommend for large bowls and vases?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Leo. Which would you recommend for large bowls and vases?
    I’d go for the #3, that will increase the size quite a bit, and don’t forget the Oneway jaws are good to hold over the full range of their chuck opening capacity, and not just at a very narrow range as is the case with the jaws of other makes using the dovetail jaws, as they do not have the patented jaws that Oneway uses, so they go up 5 ¼” inches compression and up to 6” into a recess.
    Have fun and take care