Thread: RDWorks Preview estimated time consistently less than actual laser time.

RDWorks Preview estimated time consistently less than actual laser time.

RDWorks Preview estimated time consistently less than actual laser time.
    I can change the file interval to get a more accurate time.
    But the interval I input is not actually the interval ultimately used to laser.

I anyone else using this feature with any level of accuracy?

-John
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

I think I'll just setup a spreadsheet based on Laser Light Time.
    Convert the time to decimal, then multiply by some base amount and scale accordingly.
    rdworks_preview._01jpg.jpg
    Last edited by John Kleiber; 03-29-2017 at 8:29 PM.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

I was having the same issue by about 20-25%. Asked the question last year and the responses were mixed: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ks)&highlight=
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

+1 for another person who finds the estimated time to be highly inaccurate.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    I was having the same issue by about 20-25%. Asked the question last year and the responses were mixed: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ks)&highlight=
    That's about right for most of my tests but some pushed even higher, some estimates I ran jobs that pushed 100% inaccuracy. A job was estimated to take 7.5 minutes when actually it took 14 minutes engrave time.
    Last edited by John Kleiber; 03-30-2017 at 9:01 AM.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

My Triumph's PHCad software has a time estimator/simulator- I've watched the simulator but never actually checked the time difference.
    But just watching the thing, it's easy to see why they run fast; it's because the simulator runs at the actual work speed entered all the time,
    but simulator speed and actual machine speed likely aren't going to be the same, but mostly, the simulator doesn't compensate for accel/decel speed changes, actual 'dead space' speed, or overrun during rastering.
    I would think vector estimates would be closer to actual than raster estimates.

All I can think of for advice is keep track of a few runs v estimate times and come up with an average difference, and start factoring it in
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I've found that it does vary a lot, and I've not really found a good way to determine how it is calculating. Some things like my cups are close, might be 6 minutes est and run at 6min and 20 sec. I had a flat 100% raster I did yesterday, estimated just over 10 min and it took about 18.... Go figure. One thing I've noticed is that if I look at estimate based on initial settings and then change the interval distance it will not calculate nearly as accurately.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

most of the Chinese software packages estimate time based on actual speeds rather than a progressive linear speed.

If you are running at 500 mm per second they don't allow for the fact it takes time to go from stop to 500 mm per second so you end up with a compounded error.

edit: oops...Kevs already got it
    You did what !