Thread: Opinion on Porter Cable drill press at Lowes?

Opinion on Porter Cable drill press at Lowes?

I could use a drill press for an upcoming project and for general woodworking use. I've been looking at the Porter Cable PCB660DP that Lowes sells. Does anyone have experience with that model?
    From what I can find online, it looks like some people love it and others hate it. Maybe it is the user's expectations, or maybe the quality is hit or miss?
    While I normally prefer to pay what it takes to get a good quality tool, I don't use a drill press enough to justify paying $1000. I made do with a cheap Ryobi benchtop model when I shared a shop with a buddy and didn't mind it too much. I know that an older used press would be better and would hold its value, but after following Craigslist for a couple of years off and on, I really haven't seen much around here and I don't know the good ones from the bad. Plus, I'd rather work wood than work on machinery and I need a functional drill press soon for the upcoming work.
    Any thoughts on this one or other options under $500?

Blog Entries
    I have a 12" Delta drill press that I bought at Lowes. It has been a good tool for me. Delta and Porter Cable used to be stable mates. I don't know if they are separate or not at this time.

I went online and looked at the picture and the Porter Cable sure looks like my drill press. I don't work mine very hard, but I've never had bit of trouble with it.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-29-2017 at 8:37 PM.

Sad to say but anything in the sub-$1K price range is probably going to be made in the same factory(in the most populated country in the world) regardless of brand name, paint job and features. Quality won't be a factor. Just buy the cheapest thing you can find, they're essentially all the same. They'll drill a hole pretty much the size of the bit you put in it pretty close to where you want it and more or less square to the workpiece. And that's really all the average woodworker needs for everyday use, something that'll drill a little better than the cordless in the drawer.

Jon, I have that Porter Cable drill press that I bought at Lowe's in July 2015 for a great deal; fully assembled by them and delivered to my basement workshop for <$250. I saw several posts on woodworking sights that Lowes had discontinued selling Porter Cable, so I am surprised to hear you say that you can still buy one from them. I like mine very much, but do not use it all that much, so it is not overworked. I would recommend that you use sharp bits with it. It is a nice machine in my opinion.
    Enrico Caruso
    Last edited by Enrico Caruso; 03-29-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling error

I have the same one from Lowes and it has done everything I've needed. The laser is finicky but I have been able to adjust it for use. The one thing that bothered me was the table as it is small for my needs. Therefore I installed the Woodpeckers drill press table and have been happy with the set up.

Thanks to all that responded. I haven't made a final decision yet, but am likely to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Thanks to all that responded. I haven't made a final decision yet, but am likely to buy it.
    After you buy it, keep your eyes open for a decent used drill press. They will come available regularly at prices seemingly too good to be true. I bought a very nice heavy duty bench top press that is 36 inches tall and weighs about 250 lbs for $50, it runs flawlessly and is one of my best tools.

Heavy duty floor models are available often for $250-750.

The other 10 upsides to having a good drill press;

#1. Any metalworking or automotive task involving drilling just became much easier.

#2. Boring holes for large mortises for something like a work bench are child's play for a heavy duty press.

#3. They are built like tanks and will run virtually forever in a home environment.

#4. When you are done with them they ahve a good secondary market because they are used in so many applications.

#5. they are usually more accurate IMHO, so they are useful for detailed work like luthiary work or jewelry boxes where you want to do very precise work.

#6. They look cool-eye candy to convince people who walk into your shop that you know what you are doing.

#7. Handy place to hang your shop apron.

#8. Neat restoration candidate-a ton of old Arn cheap, again, eye candy and a cool tool to just take pride in and own.

#9. You can set up for more than one operation without changing bits, very, very useful in my experience.

#10. Heavy duty table makes holding heavy/awkward pieces safe. You can add a plywood table to a smaller press, but the ability of a heavier press to keep things balanced is highly under rated.

Good luck on your new purchase, but please consider also adding a heavier duty press-I think you will find it highly useful and wonder how you ever lived without it.

I bought one 5 years ago. It has significant run out (perhaps no worse than any other cheap drill) but works for what I use it for. I got it slightly used for $100; not sure I would recommend it at $350.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I bought one 5 years ago. It has significant run out (perhaps no worse than any other cheap drill) but works for what I use it for. I got it slightly used for $100; not sure I would recommend it at $350.
    Again why I suggested a good used drill press.

this drill press just works fine i used mine for years never had a problem with the amount of runout it has, it drills holes and it does its job every time i have asked it to do so.