Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2hp 220v motor - what to do with it?

2hp 220v motor - what to do with it?

As a result of shipping damage I am in possession of a spare 2hp 220v motor. The motor was attached to a brand new bandsaw.

So the question is, would be sufficient for a cyclone?

I dont have a huge shop - 22'x26'.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post
    As a result of shipping damage I am in possession of a spare 2hp 220v motor. The motor was attached to a brand new bandsaw.

So the question is, would be sufficient for a cyclone?

I dont have a huge shop - 22'x26'.

Thoughts?
    There are too many variables to answer in terms of runs, equipment, et all. I would hang on to the motor, you may well need it.

Dale,

Most shop motors run at 3450RPM (good thing) but the frame for most do not have the face for mounting to a housing or a 'C' face. The bigger issues are insulation class and the current capacity. Insulation class relates to how hot the motor winding can get and not burn up. They are rated A-F (F allowing for the hottest temperature). Most blowers are E or F. I assume since it was a bandsaw it is TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled). Another significant consideration is current rating. You will need to match up the motor with the right size impeller (I just ordered a 13.5" impeller from Grizzly for a 3HP motor I have - which might be pushing the motor, we will see). The issue I had was the motor shaft size and the mating impeller need to match (unless you are or know a machinist). Then there is the issue of attaching the impeller so it wont fall off. A Bandsaw has a horizontal motor so it probably does not have a threaded hole in the shaft like most blower motors. I am aware of all these concerns because I am in the process of putting an impeller on a motor for a homemade blower housing.

Good luck and let us know how this motor stacks up!

Carl

I'm not sold on building one but wondered if it would be viable.

It came out of a Rikon 10-342 saw.

I stripped the saw of everything minus the steel body, which was damaged due to forklift.

Can you post a pic of the motor and the nameplate?

I'll post a photo of the motor tomorrow.

When i was removing the motor tonight I had no idea what I might use it for, aside from being a spare for the replacement 10-342, it was then I thought about a cyclone. I already have a Jet DC-1100 thats been working just fine so far.

Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    I'm watching this thread. I have that same saw and I have two spare motors. The first motor tripped a breaker when it shouldn't have. I reset the breaker and it worked fine. I called Rikon and they shipped me a new motor, "just to be on the safe side". They said I could continue using the old motor but to install the new one if it did it again or too much or whatever. The new motor arrives and the cooling shroud is dented. I called Rikon and they shipped motor #3.

It's been 6 or 7 years, I suppose, and I'm still running motor #1. I have stored #2 and #3 stored just in case. I figure I'm set for life in the 18" bandsaw department.

Rikon did all this based on a courtesy inquiry by me. I didn't complain or demand anything. That's pretty good customer service.

The motor is not all that exciting.

2hp
    220v
    single phase
    7.5A
    4 pole
    1720 RPM

May not be suitable for cyclone. I suppose I should just sell it.

Keep it. Now you have a single phase motor to swap if you pick up an old machine that 3 phase. Never get rid of any motor over 1hp. You never know when you may need it.
    Don

Dale,

You are correct it will not do much in the way of dust collection due to its low RPM. I missed the part about this was from a bandsaw, which typically has a lower RPM.

Well now you have a backup!

Carl

Man, I'd put another bandsaw around that motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Keep it. Now you have a single phase motor to swap if you pick up an old machine that 3 phase. Never get rid of any motor over 1hp. You never know when you may need it.
    Agreed. 2 h.p. would be overkill but I bought one of these from Grizzly - called a Bench Mandrel.
    Grizzly-mandrel.jpg
    and put a buffing wheel on one end a brass brush on the other. I use it a fair bit.

I could make a really fast and over powered lazy susan.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Agreed. 2 h.p. would be overkill but I bought one of these from Grizzly - called a Bench Mandrel.
    Grizzly-mandrel.jpg
    and put a buffing wheel on one end a brass brush on the other. I use it a fair bit.
    I have the exact same thing with a buffing wheel. I put a $5 motor on it (1/2 hp) and it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post
    I could make a really fast and over powered lazy susan.
    I believe that would be a centrifuge for consumables............Rod.