Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta 8 inch Jointer advice and value

Where are you located? An Enco 8" popped up here for $400 or so.

I'd pass at $800 since it's got a smaller motor. I sold my Shop Fox 8" parallelogram (White Grizzly) for $70" IIRC.

Asheville NC....so that Enco is a long way from me

Well gang, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. That price is too high.
    Thanks for all your advice!
    I'm most likely sprial head bound at Grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    The roll around stand looks nice. I don't know as much as others here, but in Utah that's not a bad price.

I didn't know people considered delta old American iron?

East Coasters seem to have their pick. Mountain states kind of have to pay premiums.

Also not included in that Oliver cost is shipment. Plus if you're converting to single phase, that's a cost.

Running 220v wasn't easy for me. I had the electricians give me an extra 100 amps at the meter with a separate 100 amp breaker. I then dug a 20 ft trench and laid electrical to my garage. Installed sub panel, etc. Not always easy.
    All extremely valid points, my thought was that if you were going to pay a premium for used equipment it ought to be interesting used equipment.

Dollar for Dollar, the Griz is a better use of money in terms of woodworking. If one wanted to avoid Chinese equipment for political reasons or wanted to have an all Delta work shop or something, there are plenty of rational reasons for buying the Delta the OP posted up.

However best use of woodworking $ is not one of them IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Shoffner View Post
    Well gang, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. That price is too high.
    Thanks for all your advice!
    I'm most likely sprial head bound at Grizzly.
    I think that's a really, really good decision. You will really enjoy your new jointer, good luck!

I had that delta. It was made in China. Bought it for $300. Sold it for $500 and I was glad to be rid of it. I also had a 1970s Delta. It was much better.

Yep I have that model jointer as said jointer itself is made in China bottom half is usa that is why the tag shown (on the bottom cabinet )says usa the jointer tag says China
    That machine has two I'd tags
    The one I have works fine I have had it for years never has been a problem
    Not much to go wrong on a jointer but I would not pay more than 5 or 6 hundred for it

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    I have a Brazilian Invicta (Delta) DJ20 from the 80's that is perfectly true and I have 4 sets of 18% tungsten knives so I won't be going with a spiral head anytime soon. While I am not averse to a bigger old iron jointer, nothing like that is commonly found in my neck of the woods. The DJ20 will never need anything but belts, bearings and blades so the lack of Delta spares is not a concern. The most important thing with any jointer is the flatness of the tables and whether they are coplanar. The parallelogram adjustment is easy and simple. Lots of decent Asian jointers available but I would be concerned with cast iron moving a bit when new. If it is a few years old and true then it likely isn't going to move. The old iron often had highly desirable meehanite cast iron but it isn't commonly found in new tools aimed at the hobby woodworker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island