Thread: Blackheart Sassafras - best way to kill bugs

Blackheart Sassafras - best way to kill bugs

I have two slabs of Blackhearts Sassafras that have termite looking holes in them.

There are three ways I'm looking at to kill any bugs there might be in there.

1 - build a foam-insulation sheet box around them and steam them for a few hours

2 - put them on the flat roof of a garden shed and tent them in black plastic. They'll get sun for about six hours here in Los Angeles. I'd have to measure the temperature to see if I get up to 130* for a length of time.

3 - tent them in the workshop and fume them with ammonia. I could also fume them when they are tented in the sun.

The slabs might be bug free. A friend bought them years ago and he can't remember if the holes were there or not when he got them, but I want to be safe.

If any of you have a view on the best way to go I'd love to hear why. Thanks, Mark

Boracare down the holes let it dry out a bit and then the flat roof thing. Here in the mid west metal farm buildings used for storing grain can do the same thing.

I generally find getting wood good and dry and keeping it good and dry tends to kill out bugs. They seem to love wet wood and hate dry wood.

Chris

Thanks Chris.