Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powermatic Model 80 20" Bandsaw - Yes or No?

Condition isn't everything, wait until you see the turds showing up at my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Yesterday I saw a Yates 16 inch Snowflake, which is extremely rare. I also looked at a 30 inch Tannewitz in pieces....Oliver 192 is one of my quest machines...
    Chris,

We've so gotten away from incorporating design for design's sake in machinery manufacturing, which is a shame -- the Snowflakes are beautiful enough to put in a living room!

My 192 was from the '40s, I think; I bought it used around 1983 from a dealer in Baltimore (Skarie?). Even the doors were cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Chris,

We've so gotten away from incorporating design for design's sake in machinery manufacturing, which is a shame -- the Snowflakes are beautiful enough to put in a living room!

My 192 was from the '40s, I think; I bought it used around 1983 from a dealer in Baltimore (Skarie?). Even the doors were cast.
    Sadly had to pass on a really decent 192 to buy the Pm 87 I just acquired. If I add yet another band saw to the shop, it will be between something like the Oliver 18 inch 192 and a MiniMax 16.

Wells and Davis apparently build a really nice band saw, prices for these are all over the place. Right now too busy making sawdust to think of buying another band saw for a good long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Condition isn't everything, wait until you see the turds showing up at my shop.
    I actually like buying machines in "turd" condition so long as they are not badly abused-much easier to deal with that then a quick coat of paint and hide all of the issues.

I like repairing and tuning a machine once.

Well - Its mine - picked it up last night. Talked him to $800. And yes - pics are coming. One thing I noticed is that the tension spring is very nearly completely compressed. It cut very well with the 3/8" blade on it, but I know I will want to put a 3/4" blade on it in the future. The tires will need replacing, but seem to be serviceable for now. Any thoughts on sourcing a new tension spring? Can I use a tension spring from a newer model PM saw?
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    Well - Its mine - picked it up last night. Talked him to $800. And yes - pics are coming. One thing I noticed is that the tension spring is very nearly completely compressed. It cut very well with the 3/8" blade on it, but I know I will want to put a 3/4" blade on it in the future. The tires will need replacing, but seem to be serviceable for now. Any thoughts on sourcing a new tension spring? Can I use a tension spring from a newer model PM saw?

I doubt any current models will have the same spring but the 81/87 may have shared the same spring. My first call would be Redmond Machinery after I verified it was not in stock with Powermatic or any of the online new parts dealers.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Congrats and pics please. I think you will be very, very happy with it. For me the larger table made a larger band saw kind of a no brainer.

Here are the pics as promised. IMG_1244.jpgIMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1247 (Medium).JPGIMG_1244 (Medium).JPGIMG_1246 (Medium).JPGIMG_1249 (Medium).JPGShowing pics of power switch, overall machine, upper and lower guides.

Last edited by Brent Ring; 04-05-2017 at 8:58 AM.

Need a new tension spring.... notice the one in is all compressed. Only has a 3/8" blade on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I just saw some guy from Provo headed out to get it.
    He must have not been very smart then

Need a new tension spring.... notice the one in is all compressed. Only has a 3/8" blade on it.
    I would check with OWWM (old Woodworking Machines website.) McMaster-Carr should have things like hand wheels and other supplies.

Fantastic saw, enjoy it....thanks for the pics, I greatly enjoyed them.

...also, I would not restore or repaint it. I love the patina of age on old woodworking machines, kind of like the patina of age on a nice old pick up truck. Very nice looking machine in every respect.

Resurrecting an old thread to ask does a Powermatic 87 have a threaded hole in the top to lift it with an eyebolt or is it lifted with a sling under the upper arm? I understand a Doall uses a 3/4 lifting ring on their 1612. Seems like such a nice safe method of rigging.
    My lathe uses one 16m eyebolt to lift 1750 pounds at the balance point.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-27-2018 at 12:03 PM.