Thread: Dimensioned drawings of Vienna Secession furniture

Dimensioned drawings of Vienna Secession furniture

Could anyone steer me towards dimensioned drawings of Vienna Secession furniture, such as Josef Hoffman's Morris chair and other chairs? All I can find is photographs. Thanks in advance.

I haven't seen any dimensioned drawings for Josef Hoffmann's furniture. i'd made 3D models of a few of his pieces such as a causeuse and a barrel chair. I've thought about doing one of his sitzmaschine but haven't gotten around to it. I could make a reasonable facsimile of it with a few photos and basic dimensions but i'm sure it wouldn't be an exact replica.

Ditto - think I could do a good job with just a few core measurements and photographs. There is one (sitzmachine) at MOMA but it's not on display, and they haven't answered my inquiries about whether I could see and measure it.

If you're in the greater New York area, you might inquire as to whether the Yale Furniture Study Collection has any of his furniture. http://artgallery.yale.edu/furniture-study The Yale Collection is a wonderful place. They have lots and lots of antique furniture, and their whole purpose is to let people like you study it. They are happy if you come make your own measured drawings.

Blog Entries
    I have never seen dimensioned plans of Vienna Secessionist furniture. Oddly enough, the only pieces I have seen in person was in Tokyo. What are the odds?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Thanks all. FWIW, I'm in eastern MA. No joy at Yale or Boston MFA, but I did get a name of a curator at MOMA, and also learned that Minneapolis Institute of art has a Hoffmann collection. I'm curious if either place will let me look at/measure a piece that's not on public display.

If you find that the Minneapolis Institute of Art will allow you access and you come to see it, let me know. I might just come up and join you.

Got an appt at MOMA. They won't let me touch the exhibits, but will have a staff person on hand to take whatever measurements I need. Photography is OK. Dave, Minneapolis is just too far/$$$ for me.
    Last edited by Josko Catipovic; 04-20-2017 at 3:06 PM.