Thread: Copper Fittings

Copper Fittings

I have decided to plumb my air lines with 3/4" copper pipe.
    I did research old threads and made my decision on what I feel will work for my skill set and overall usage off the system.
    I am saying this since I am trying to avoid a discussion of PVC v whatever.
    The system I plan to install would be 3/4" around the shop, with 1/2" drops plumbed from the top of the 3/4" pipe.
    I will add an automatic drain at the end of the 3/4" run to discharge any water build up, also add one to the bottom of the tank.
    My sticking point is what copper fitting do I use to connect 1/2" drop to a quick disconnect that states it has 1/4" (F)NPT
    The few fittings the BORG has would not fit onto the QD.
    Anyone with a copper system, can you share what fittings you used?
    Thanks
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Trevor,

Take a QD and go to a plumbing/HVAC supply house. Explain what you want to do. They will most likely have an answer and the parts may be in their stock. Sometimes their prices are much better than the big box stores or a local hardware store.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0450287?r=~|categoryl1:%22610686%20Plumbing%22|~%2 0~|categoryl2:%22610687%20Pipe%20Fittings%22|~%20~ |categoryl3:%22610688%20Pipe%20Adapters%22|~%20~|s attr01:^%221/4%22%20M-NPT%22$|~

fastenal should have them or can get them, usually you can get a threaded fitting 1/2 x 1/2 at the home centers and use a reducer as well

QD.jpg

1/2" sweat-1/2" female NPT to 1/2" 45 Street Ell to 1/2"-1/4" reducer to 1/4" short nipple to 1/4" female QD.

All fittings are Brass or Bronze.

All fittings in stock at my local Menards.

If you want the QD perpendicular to the wall skip the Ell. If you have male NPT on the QD skip the nipple.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Nothing to add just wanna say that is a great signature line.
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Thanks for all the replies, Adam that is what I was hoping existed. Thanks.

Doug, thanks for the comment, a workmate brought a poster for me years ago with that on, been on the back of my office door ever since.
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Do yourself a favor, and go by a plumbing supply house and buy a jar of LA-Co flux. It will be the best investment you will ever make for running cooper. For what you are doing, especially with a loop, 1/2" is more than adequate. Rated for a whole lot more CFMs than you compressor will ever make, unless you have a 75HP screw compressor.

I used all 1/2" copper on my system. The elbow that sweats on one end and is threaded on the other is called a drop-eared-ell. That should help you find it. I screwed a 1/2 x 1/4 bushing into the ell and got QD couplers with male threads to screw into that. In my former shop I used all 3/4" copper to get more storage volume but, IMO, in a one man shop it just doesn't make that much difference. Especially considering what tools I use and that I neck that further down with a 1/4" air line to connect to the tool. YMMV.