Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Bench Build

Smile Yet Another Bench Build

Hi Everyone,
    I have been visiting Sawmill Creek for quite a few years now, and have finally begun to get somewhere, with my work bench.
    I have read so many posts here about benches, and working wood, with hand tools, that I could never be able to thank everyone for their ideas and help. So I would just like to say Thank You Everyone, for making this place such a fun and interesting place to visit and learn.
    I am planning to make all of the interior doors and the front entry way door in my house with this bench. Therefore it has to be wider then a work bench usually is, and fairly long. So it is going to be the size of an entry door. 36" x 80". The 2 halves of the bench is laminated SPF from the BORG, and are 11.5" wide. Adding a 11/2" wide apron to both sides will make each side of the bench approximately 13" and the tool well will be made to bring the overall width to 36".
    I have no plans to go by, but have been looking at benches for so long now that they feel imprinted in my head.
    It will be built like Paul Sellers benches with a few changes to suit my purposes.
    The 2 leg supports will be able to be broken down for disassembly for ease of transporting and I am undecided yet about having a metal face vise. I may make a leg vise and use bench dogs for sure.
    If something does not look right to anyone, or if you have any ideas to help me along the way please speak up.
    So much for the rambling.

Problems uploading a picture of my progress. I will keep trying.

Attempt at downloading resized picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for sharing your bench build. I haven't built entry doors, just some 30x60 cabinet doors and the largest single pieces I've had to work were 12-foot barge board trim, but it seems like maybe you don't have to make the bench match the size of your doors (unless you've already finished the whole glue-up, then by all means it HAS to be that size ).

It just seems that building and flattening such a large surface for one project might not be needed. If you think you'll need bench-like strength under all the joints, you may want to consider a split-top bench, like the split Roubos that some have posted here. Otherwise, a "normal" sized bench should suit you for forming your joints and if you want a nice flat surface to assemble and check your joints you could focus on making a torsion box assembly table instead of a bench. Two smaller tables that can be attached to each other would probably be more useful after the door project.

I just make the joints good, one at a time at my 18"x80" bench and assemble the doors on horses as I progress.

just some thoughts, good luck,
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    Hi Michael,
    Thanks for sharing your bench build. I haven't built entry doors, just some 30x60 cabinet doors and the largest single pieces I've had to work were 12-foot barge board trim, but it seems like maybe you don't have to make the bench match the size of your doors (unless you've already finished the whole glue-up, then by all means it HAS to be that size ).

It just seems that building and flattening such a large surface for one project might not be needed. If you think you'll need bench-like strength under all the joints, you may want to consider a split-top bench, like the split Roubos that some have posted here. Otherwise, a "normal" sized bench should suit you for forming your joints and if you want a nice flat surface to assemble and check your joints you could focus on making a torsion box assembly table instead of a bench. Two smaller tables that can be attached to each other would probably be more useful after the door project.

I just make the joints good, one at a time at my 18"x80" bench and assemble the doors on horses as I progress.

just some thoughts, good luck,
    Karl
    This ^^. The bench is for preparing the joints and stock, not assembling the full sized doors. You will likely have trouble with working on that 36" width of bench. I have a pair of matched-height assembly tables made from my previous (too tall/wide) bench that are 30" x 24". I can move them around for various sizes of work. For your project, a few longer horses would probably be sufficient.
    Last edited by Noah Magnuson; 03-31-2017 at 8:45 AM.

I believe that traditional hand-tool ww benches tended to be more in the conventional width range and also used an angled leg setup for a leg vise that allowed the door to be placed on the floor on one edge with the upper end of the door pinched in the leg vise. This allowed the worker to plane the long sides of the door. I started with a very wide bench to work on and it served no useful purpose for the actual joinery work. I now use a split top bench with two 12" wide work surfaces and a 4" wide tool tray area between and enjoy that bench better than the first bench. If your bench will be free standing, the narrower width should not be an issue. If the bench will live against a wall and you will not be able to come up with an assembly area, perhaps a wider bench may be your particular answer. As to length, I have the room for a full 8' length and appreciate my 8' long bench. Do I work on 8' long furniture often? No, but the extra length fits just fine in my shop and has never hindered me at all. I usually leave a Moxon vise permanently set up on the "far" end of my bench when I don't need the full 8' length for current work. If you are going to use bench dogs, it seems that you will have to also have an end vise (of some type) to push against the dogs. A "side" vise (of some type) is probably one of the handiest and most used parts of a workbench for many of us. Not necessary, but very handy. There are some good ideas on workbench styles, uses, etc on the market from Scott Landis and Chris Schwarz that can help you define what would work best for you.
    David

Thank You for your thoughts Karl, Noah and David.
    Karl, I was thinking of using my bench as an assembly table, because I really don't have the room for an assembly table, and the bench. I am worried about getting the doors flat and straight from corner to corner, so I thought having a flat bench to use as a base would be the way to go. I will have a 12" wide tool well in the middle of my bench, so only have to flatten and align 24" of bench top.
    Maybe I will have to make those torsion boxes if the flattening and straightening of the bench don't go as well as planned.
    Noah, I see your point about having trouble working around such a large bench. I am having trouble now working around all of the machines in my shop. Adding the bench is going to make it that much worse! If I had not laminated the two top sections already I may have reconsidered the size. It's funny because I have two long benches along the walls of my cellar that the previous owner built. But they are not precise, and are crowded with other things in the shop. I was going to tear one down, and build a nice working bench in its place but I thought a separate bench would be easier to build.
    David, I am trying to picture your angled leg setup with a leg vise. I was planning to have aprons on each side of the bench for rigditity and then possibly a leg vise through the apron into the leg of the bench. And then have holes in the apron for dowels, to support the doors.
    It sounds like the consensus is that a bigger bench is not as user friendly as something smaller and easier to work with. I think that you are all probably right in this point. I have 10 doors to make, and it will probably take me a few years to make them all, being I cannot spend hours at a time working in the shop. I picture myself using part of the bench top to have door parts sitting on top for periods of time. Having a flat surface to keep the wood supported seems important to me. and then having the other half of the bench to work on.
    My biggest concern is will the wide bench be stable and not twist more then a narrower bench over time.
    My cellar is dry in the winter, and I need to run a dehumidifier in the summer in the cellar and do. So I am hoping it will be stable enough.
    Thankyou Gentlemen for your help. Michael

Just a little bit of info. I am not 100% Neanderthal with my bench build. I hope this is alright to post here. I stickered and let 30 2x4's acclimate in my basement for the past 6 months. The wood dried considerably more and the top pieces of 2x4 on the pile did move more then the lower pieces. Someone mentioned weight on top of the pile helped, so next time I may do that.
    I jointed the long side of the 2x4's,3 1/2" side, on my little 4" delta homecraft jointer. I added a piece of melamine,3/4" x 36" long to the outfeed side of the jointer and used a straight edge to get it aligned.
    I bought 2 straight edges from Infinity Tool, as a set. One 36" long and the other 24". Igaging Chinese ones. I am not a wealthy man so I have to get by the best I can. I have a laboratory grade surface plate I only use for inspections, and the straight edges were within .002 of being flat and straight. Needless to say, I checked a Johnson48" aluminum rule to the igaging straightedges, and it is straight within .002.
    I then ran the 2x4's through my DW 734 planer and finished the opposite wide surface. Then back to the jointer to straighten the third side of the 2x4's, and the planer to finish up.
    Then I glued 8- 2x4"s together, twice to get my bench tops. Then I made a set of 40" winding sticks from some old spruce floor molding I had.
    After that I ended up with some unevenness in the glue ups and use my #5 Stanley plane and winding sticks to surface the top surface in the picture above. I finished with a # 4 finish plane and a #6 foreplane that I got from a fellow member here on the site.
    ThankYou Jerry Olexa. he #5 and #6 plane are working superbly.
    I will attempt to run the opposite side of the bench tops through the DW 734 if it will do it. Everything is waxed, but the tops are quite heavy.
    So That is it for now folks. Regards, Mike

Mike, my most serious design size consideration for my bench was building doors; so I can relate. My bench only had to manufacture the pieces that then go to a flat assembly table. My bench is 7' 1" long but can clamp between the dogs 86.5", that is the benefit of the traditional tail vise. It can hold a full size door on edge to be planed to fit.
    As has been mentioned the width of the bench may end up being a liability, the length should work just fine with a tail vise of some sort.
    You could reduce the tool well. I've never really thought of the Sellers bench as knock down, so much as 'can be disassembled'. Making the two leg components disassemble my introduce some weakness. Given the size of the top I don't see two solid leg components being a problem.

The door can be placed with one long side resting on the floor with the opposite side then "pinched" in one upper corner of the leg to hold it firmly for planning a long edge. The angled leg vise does away with the depth limitations for holding that a pure vertical leg vise is constrained by.
    David

That's a classic bench, stable by design not too heavy to move, very usable.

A standard vise works just as well, in such an application as holding the edge of a door, but the leg vise has the advantage of transferring forces directly to the shop floor.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

William, You have brought up some good points to consider. The traditional tail vise is quite an involved undertaking. I am thinking maybe a moxon type vise on the end of the bench. Only because of the ease of making. I feel better about the stability issue with the 36"width.
    David, That is a great looking bench!. Elegant in design and quite nimble looking. Yet stable with the splayed legs. Do you know how the legs are attached to the top? Or are they attached to the aprons and then the top is attached to the top edge of the aprons? It looks like their is a lever hanging down on the right end of the bench.
    I had thought a regular tail vise with a heavy wide movable jaw would suffice. I'll have to acquire some hardwood for the vise jaw either way I make it to the bench.
    Good point Andy. I was thinking the lower end of the leg vise was supported by the lower end of the bench leg, and the long length of the leg vise jaw acted as a lever in applying force to the parts being clamped at the top.
    Thank you for the thoughts,David, William and Andy. I have somethings to consider while I finish up the tops to the bench.
    Mike

Look up "Moravian Bench Build" by Will Myers on You Tube and FWW for details on that angled leg, lighter workbench (with Nicholson type skirts?) for build details. I believe he provides some good build details, possibly from a WK Fine Tools link to some of his projects. The lever on the right end of the bench you see in the sketch I sent you is, I believe, an end vise handle. I have a wagon type tail vise on my bench and am glad for it when I use it. I don't need it on every project, but it serves me well when I do use it. having said that, I would say my leg vise is the single most used vise, with a face vise (as in Eclipse style) as the second most used vise. If $ for vises is an issue at first, the Benchcrafted leg vise can be retrofitted later as the $ builds back up again. The Eclipse (look it up on amazon) style face vise easily/effectively doubles as an end vise as well.
    David

Moravian Bench by Will Myers plans, video, etc located on the Wood and Shop web site.
    David