Thread: Rat poison

Rat poison

Here lately, I've noticed that every time I go to buy rat poison that the pellets have been gradually replaced by those big bricks. The bricks don't seem to work for me, but any time I put out the pellets it will be gone by the end of the day. I can't even find the pellets anymore where I'm at. Have they done away with the pellets, and if so, why?
    Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Answers?
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

My experience with the pellets is they don't eat it but haul it away and store it. I have much better luck with the PVC bait stations I make for the bar bait.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    Here lately, I've noticed that every time I go to buy rat poison that the pellets have been gradually replaced by those big bricks. The bricks don't seem to work for me, but any time I put out the pellets it will be gone by the end of the day. I can't even find the pellets anymore where I'm at. Have they done away with the pellets, and if so, why?
    Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Answers?
    The farmer's co-op here told me a few years ago that the EPA was banning the pellets and rodent poisons would only be available in block form. The pellets were dangerous to small children with many thousands of kids reported poisoned every year, and more easily eaten by pets and wildlife other than rodents. Evidently most people didn't use protected bait stations and just spread the pellets where more than rodents could get to them.

What is worse, or better depending on your perspective, the most effective ingredients were quietly removed in all products sold to residential consumers and are now only available to professional pest control people.

Fortunately, I have three big barn cats.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    This is tangential to the original post. Today on the radio, they noted that 90% of the Bobcats and Cougars in the Santa Monica mountains were being poisoned by rat poison. Presumably, it is the classic case of poison concentration in higher level preditors.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

No poison needed with this one.

-Lud

Don't be surprised to see those pellets back on the shelves with our current administration.

Hmm, that might be hazardous to little kids as well.

JKJ

My local Home Depot sells this item.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/RatX-1-lb...6268/205743655
    Never used it, kinda pricey compared to the old De-con product.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

That looks awesome Justin! I'd like to see that in action.
    That RatX is what I've currently been buying, Dave, but thanks!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Given the description, maybe there's no poison in these at all...they just starve to death....

• RatX is safe for People, Pets and Wildlife
    • Kills rats within a week of use when all food sources are removed