Thread: Planer Problem

Planer Problem

I have a DeWalt DW733 12-1/2" planer that has started having feed problems. The board will start to feed through properly but after about a foot and a half it seems to skip and jerk. For example the first two feet of a three foot board will feed through properly and then the jerking starts. It doesn't appear there is any problem with the cutter assembly.

I can't see any glazing on the feed rollers but I guess they could be sticking. From the parts diagram it looks like a major job to change the rollers even if I can figure out where to purchase new one.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle this problem? Also, what is a good product to use to clean these type of rollers?

99% of the time feed problems with a planer are caused by a sticky bed. Get some paste wax and give it a good waxing.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins
    99% of the time feed problems with a planer are caused by a sticky bed. Get some paste wax and give it a good waxing.

Somewhere in Steves post we need to add a percentage for dirty rollers, otherwise I agree completely. Clean it up like new, and wax it. My Jet 15" will slip and stall intermittently if the feed rollers get clogged up with material debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins
    I learned the hard way. After taking it all apart, still had the problem, should have tried SMC first. Yep, all it took was paste wax. Hope it works for you.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott