Thread: What to expect on delivery of Grizzly 490x jointer?

What to expect on delivery of Grizzly 490x jointer?

I've never had anything delivered via freight. I got the lift gate service as I have no way to get it off the truck. With the lift gate service will they wheel the thing off the truck into my garage or will I need to get a pallet jack myself and move it?

Any tactics for moving it myself if the lift gate service doesn't do anything other then pull it off truck?

I'd recommend a furniture dolly (ala Harbor Freight #62398). It is all I needed to move a 12" Griz J/P combo from the street (and lift gate), up the driveway to the shop. Most delivery will only set it on the ground, just off the lift gate, tho' the driver helped push mine 50' to the door.

Yes, they will usually bring it to the garage but it is not required. The beds probably come in a wooden crate the the base in a cardboard box. Thats how my Shop Fox W1741(same jointer). I picked it up at the freight yard. Set up the base. Uncrated the jointer bed in the pickup and then had a friend help me slide it on the base. Much easier then trying to lift the jointer bed from the floor onto the base.

Last edited by Cary Falk; 03-31-2017 at 4:28 PM.

I've had 2 items delivered to my house on pallets - in both cases I checked with the trucking company ahead of time to confirm that the driver would wheel them into my garaage

In the case of my G0490X and my Minimax MM-16, each time the drivers helped me move sheets of plywood down my gravel driveway to my shop as we rolled it on their pallet jack and my plywood. They are not required to do so. I tried giving a nice tip to both of them but one accepted it and one driver didn't.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have had maybe 40 machines delivered via liftgate over the years and in every case the driver was happy to wheel it into the shop via a concrete drive. Most ask exactly where I wanted it and dropped it there.

The main thing you need to be ready for is cleaning cosmoline and having help to assemble the jointer since it doesn't come on the base.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I have had maybe 40 machines delivered via liftgate over the years and in every case the driver was happy to wheel it into the shop via a concrete drive. Most ask exactly where I wanted it and dropped it there.

The main thing you need to be ready for is cleaning cosmoline and having help to assemble the jointer since it doesn't come on the base.

Thabks for the info. What do I need to get to clean up the cosmoline?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Vasko View Post
    Thabks for the info. What do I need to get to clean up the cosmoline?
    There are many ways but I use a plastic card (something like a credit card) to scrape the majority off then I go to work with WD-40 and rags.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    In the case of my G0490X and my Minimax MM-16, each time the drivers helped me move sheets of plywood down my gravel driveway to my shop as we rolled it on their pallet jack and my plywood. They are not required to do so. I tried giving a nice tip to both of them but one accepted it and one driver didn't.
    Before I hijack--Congrats on the jointer Kevin!!

@ Ken--we have about 250' of gravel drive to the road, well packed after 100 years, but not smooth. I'm glad to hear that leapfrogging plywood worked as that is the only way I had figured to do it. Opens my purchase/delivery options. Thanks.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Before I hijack--Congrats on the jointer Kevin!!

@ Ken--we have about 250' of gravel drive to the road, well packed after 100 years, but not smooth. I'm glad to hear that leapfrogging plywood worked as that is the only way I had figured to do it. Opens my purchase/delivery options. Thanks.
    earl
    You could always get an all terrain pallet jack...

3818.jpg

Have a $20 bill on hand in case the driver needs coaxing to get the pallet from the curb/street to your workshop. Last two items I've had delivered came on full size trucks and they could only get to within 1 block of my shop. Both times, I asked the driver to wheel it down the alley on their pallet jack for a little something extra. Both seemed happy to do it and insisted the $20 wasn't necessary, but chances are you will see the same driver again if you order more tools so the small tip pays off on future visits too.

I bought the G0490X in December with the lift gate service. Grizzly contacted me shortly after stating that UPS Freight would not deliver to my residence because I live on a cul-de-sac. I explained that I was two houses in and they could easily back up onto the cross street as many moving vans have done over the years. No go. UPS Freight declined. Grizzly customer service then contacted another carrier and they had no issues with the delivery. I bought several items including their 10" slider so I had numerous boxes. The guy who delivered the products was more than willing to roll them into my garage with his pallet jack. I offered up $20 and he refused to take it.

The jointer will come in two packages. One will be the base in a cardboard box and is easily movable. The table comes in a wooden box and is not easily moved. After unboxing the base I placed it next to the wooden box with the table and with another neighbor we were able to lift it onto the stand. The cosmoline was easily removed with a plastic putty knife, paper towels, and wd40. Took all of 5 mins.

Last edited by Craig Shewmake; 03-31-2017 at 4:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    There are many ways but I use a plastic card (something like a credit card) to scrape the majority off then I go to work with WD-40 and rags.
    I save my old credit cars for that purpose.

What should I put on it after I clean all the cosmoline off?