Thread: Having trouble uploading photos

Having trouble uploading photos

I'm usually visiting sawmill creek on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. Yesterday and today I tried posting a few different photos and got an error message when I tried to upload them. Any ideas.The previous photos I've posted were all taken with the tablet, as were the ones that wouldn't upload.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Pisano View Post
    I'm usually visiting sawmill creek on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. Yesterday and today I tried posting a few different photos and got an error message when I tried to upload them. Any ideas.The previous photos I've posted were all taken with the tablet, as were the ones that wouldn't upload.
    Did you try resizing the photos first to reduce the file size? I don't remember what comes with the Galaxy, mine is in the shop at the moment, but there are photo editing programs available for android. Note that two photos taken with the identical hardware/software can have very different file sizes depending on the visual content.

If you are unclear about the details, I'd be glad to look at one later tonight if you send it to me by email. (I have decades of experience in photo processing!) If you do that, it would be interesting to also see one that did upload fine in the past.

JKJ

Thanks John, what is the email address?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Pisano View Post
    Thanks John, what is the email address?
    I just sent my email address to you in a private message. Going out to do a little backhoe and bobcat digging but I should be able to look at it about dark, dark:30.

JKJ

Blog Entries

uploading photos

The usual problem with photo files not uploading is the file size. Open your photos in a photo editing program such as window live photo gallery or Photoshop and resize the image so the file is less than 1 megabite. Also check the photo orientation on a computer before uploading if they were taken with a cell phone as cell phones add data so the photos will always appear right side up when displayed on a cell phone and that data doesn't work on a computer.

Also check this link: Photo uploading
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-01-2017 at 2:53 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The usual problem with photo files not uploading is the file size. Open your photos in a photo editing program such as window live photo gallery or Photoshop and resize the image so the file is less than 1 megabite. Also check the photo orientation on a computer before uploading if they were taken with a cell phone as cell phones add data so the photos will always appear right side up when displayed on a cell phone and that data doesn't work on a computer.

Also check this link: Photo uploading
    Lee, the link doesn't work here.

BTW, I tested Tony's images and one was too big. Note that the 1-meg limit doesn't always apply on this forum. A 1719 KB image file uploaded fine in a test but a 2192 KB file did not.

I always resize images to something like 800x600 or so and compress to reduce the file size to less than 100K so I can post them on another forum with an 100K limit. This can also greatly decrease the upload time.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Lee, the link doesn't work here.
    Fixed the link.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Fixed the link.
    Great. It looks like the user forum interface has been changed since that 2005 thread. It may be simpler now with the "Insert Image" button and an easy way to insert an image full sized inline.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    You could also try this method. Posting photos in line

Note that there is a sticky thread called Support Forum Sticky Threads where many common problem solutions are offered.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

You could also try this method. Posting photos in line
    For most photos clicking this icon button is simpler:

upload_button.jpg

Click "From Computer", "Browse...", then "Upload"

JKJ

Blog Entries
    True, but photo file size still comes into play.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!