Thread: Drum Sander

Drum Sander

Does anyone have any experience using a drum sander for sanding treated wood like 2x4? Will a drum sander work, or should I look at a different type sander for this. I make outdoor furniture out of treated wood and have been using a orbital sander to sand it all and was wondering if there is a faster way to sand it thanks for any info on this.

I've ran regular const. grade pine through my Woodmaster before, never again. It loads up the paper in short order, no matter what you do, hit a pitch pocket and there's a bigger mess.

Can only imagine treated lumber would be worse since it's been soaked...

Ed

A planer may be a better option. It should do a good enough job so the sanding should be minimal.
    Don

I wouldn't put treated lumber through my planer. I even us an old blade in the table saw when and if I need to cut treated lumber.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    I've ran regular const. grade pine through my Woodmaster before, never again. It loads up the paper in short order, no matter what you do, hit a pitch pocket and there's a bigger mess.

Can only imagine treated lumber would be worse since it's been soaked...

Ed
    Ditto. I ran a 2x6 through my drum sander once. Never again. Gummy mess.

I would not put it through a sander because the dust is toxic. Breathing it would be very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I would not put it through a sander because the dust is toxic. Breathing it would be very bad.
    The drum sander is probably going to have better dust collection than the orbital that he's currently using.
    I say do whatever you need to do with it, just be aware of the consequences.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Like the others have noted: pine loads-up the paper real quick ... in a typical drum sander.
    I have a Jet 22/44 Oscillating Drum Sander that does very well with pine when run in the oscillating mode.
    It still will load-up if the material 'wet'.