Thread: Fire Extinguisher Check – 2017

Blog Entries

Fire Extinguisher Check – 2017

Just a reminder. I was putting up a new laundry cabinet which brought me into proximity of a fire extinguisher that I pass every time I leave the shop. I am diligent in checking my safety gear but, low and behold; the extinguisher I pass more often than any other was in the red!?!

Take a moment the next time you go into the shop, before you even put your coffee down, check your extinguishers. A recharge or replacement is cheap insurance. That is all.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I replaced mine last November. It was still in the green but it was nearly 20 years old. Maybe it was fine but I feel better with a fresh one hanging there. I always take a Sharpie and mark the purchase date on them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have (2) Amerex, one in the garage, one in the house. I get them checked and recharged every December 1st. I can't explain why that date although it seems to work for me.
    Mac

Yes guys...keep those fire extinguishers serviced. In my 30 years in the fire service I've lost count of the number of shop and garage fires I've responded to. They rarely have a good outcome. I always tell friends and family to get the biggest extinguisher you can carry.... You don't want to run out of extinguisher before you run out of fire. Pick a birthday, anniversary or a date that is important to you to remind you to have your extinguisher serviced and tested. I've never met anyone who regretted the money spent on an extinguisher when they needed it.

Another tip: if you have dry chemical fire extinguishers, when you check them, turn them upside down and give them several bangs with the heel of your hand or a rubber mallet. The dry chemical can settle and not come out well when needed most.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore