Thread: Identity of this Wood?

Identity of this Wood?

Making a cutting board and had this board in my garage. It was planed already and I can't remember if I did it or not I have also no clue what kind of wood it is. Want to make sure it's ok to add to my board that will be an end grain board.

It's the piece I'm pointing to in the photo.

The laid out wood are: Oak, no clue, walnut, mahogany, no clue, mahogany.

Any clue on the on the identity of the 'no clue' pieces of wood? Especially the one I have my finger on it. It's got a good weight to it.

IMG_8528.jpgIMG_8529.jpgIMG_8530.jpgIMG_8531.jpg

Fingered piece looks like black walnut - grain makes me think maybe from a limb or near a crotch (tho' not thru the crotch). 4th from the right looks to be the same (but no crotch proximity).

1st & 3rd from right might be mahogany??
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-31-2017 at 2:06 PM.

Looks like walnut to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Any clue on the on the identity of the 'no clue' pieces of wood? Especially the one I have my finger on it. It's got a good weight to it.
    If it's walnut it should smell like walnut (if you know what that smells like!) if you cut or sand it a bit. As for the weight, one easy thing to do if you have some good scales is to weight the board and measure it, calculate the volume and then the density. That can tell you if it's in the ballpark for a specific species.

The best way to tell is to shave a little place smooth on the end grain and look at the rings/pores with a magnifier. This tells how in section 7: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...ication-guide/

JKJ

Walnut was my first thought as well.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....