Thread: I have a question

Blog Entries

I have a question

In Lee Valley's Spring 2017 catalog, on page 18, there is a log builder's slick, 3 3/8" wide and 30" long.

My question is "Am I the only one while having absolutely NO use for it, I still want one?".

I have a 1 15/16" wide one that I seldom use. It's good for gate posts and arbors.

Also, I have a Stanley square edge chisel that is 1 15/16" wide, so another question is
    that coincidental or is there a special use for 1 15/16" chisels?

Just wondering.

Also, that sure is a sweet looking draw knife on the same page. I already have one that size though.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-31-2017 at 7:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    In Lee Valley's Spring 2017 catalog, on page 18, there is a log builder's slick, 3 3/8" wide and 30" long.

My question is "Am I the only one while having absolutely NO use for it, I still want one?".

I have a 1 15/16" wide one that I seldom use. It's good for gate posts and arbors.

Also, I have a Stanley bevel edge chisel that is 1 15/16" wide, so another question is
    that coincidental or is there a special use for 1 15/16" chisels?

Just wondering.
    No, it is not just you. While I have no particular use for one, I too really want one.

My guess on the 1 15/16 chisel it is a 2 inch that is slightly out of tolerance.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

I have a 3" Slick-have had it since 2005 and have never needed or used it. But, I will never part with it!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I was surprised by what I thought was a low price.

There are a lot of old slicks for sale on the auction site, and prices are consistently high (i.e., higher than I care to pay at the moment). So demand seems to be pretty brisk. I did a little crude timberframing a couple of years ago, and I've thought about getting one ever since, although my life has been fine without one.

Incidentally, looking through various old catalogs (Greenlee, Pexto, etc), framing chisels are consistently offered in sizes up to 2", and slicks are offered in sizes from 2 1/2" to 4". The implication is that a lot of the smaller tools being offered for sale as slicks on the auction site, with widths of 2" or less, are really chisels which have been fitted with slick handles .

Barr tools have a range of slicks, curved edge etc. If you ever did actually use one. If you've ever used his framing chisels it's very hard to imagine (nigh impossible) using anything but his slick. Yes more money.