Thread: Woodworkers Helping Toys for Tots

Woodworkers Helping Toys for Tots

I received this message from WoodCraft today, I sincerly hope that SawMill Creek Members will be able to contribute in some way. Anyone who wants to get involved and would like to pool our assets on a group project lets discuss it here in this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------

From WoodCraft:

If anyone is interested in helping to make Christmas a little brighter for kids in the Gulf Coast area hit by Katrina, WoodCraft will be collecting toys (wood or new) for the US Marines Toys for Tots program. They will be distributed to the Marines on December 5 so they must be sent to the Mobile Alabama Woodcraft store by that date.

Home made wooden toys may be taken to a local participating Woodcraft or mailed directly to the Mobile store. Any help is appreciated. The store is located at 7765 Airport Blvd #301, Mobile, AL 36608. Attn: Woodcraft Toys for Gulf Coast Tots.

Keith, sounds really worth while. SO, how can we help?
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Scott,

I would guess that we could each work individually or in large or small groups to produce toys. For instance if there were a group of SMC Members in my area we could pool our resources to mass produce a simple toy. I own a CNC router and could easilly cut out parts, other members of the group would then assemble, paint, etc. Just a thought and I'm sure that folks here will have other ideas.

First we need toy designs submitted.

This is a great project. The Triangle Woodworkers Association has had this as an on going project for a number of years now and we contribute several thousand hand made toys a year to the TFT program. We have an annual presentation ceremony where we turn them over to the Marines.

George

If anyone in the Tulsa OK area is planning on doing this, The Tulsa Woodcraft store will be a drop point for shipping. Please deliver it unboxed, but provide a shipping container & packing material.